Mercedes MBE 4000??

I know this isn't really Mack related, but was wondering about this engine. We have 2 CH Macks 95 and 96, I posted earlier about the rust issues I'm having, anyways we bought these trucks from a local fleet that always ran Macks since the 40s' , in mid 2000s they started having a lot of problems with Mack emission engines. They then quit Mack in 06 and have went to Freightshaker unfortunately, I called them to see if they had any used Macks left for sale sitting in the bushes somewhere but they said no more Macks left, but they have some 07 CL 112 Freightliners with MBE 4000 engine in them, the trucks are lightweight small sleepers like our Macks and reasonably priced, but wondered about that engine, and I bet a lot harder to work on than our Macks. Would a Mack engine of the same year be as dependable? Is the Mercedes better on fuel than Mack? We are getting mid 6s with the old E7 350s pulling flatbeds , about 60 mph. Im trying to be a die-hard Mack man but options are limited as well as dealers, we have one fair dealer that doesn't mind helping trying to keep them running.

We have two 04 freightliner cl120 with Mercedes @435 and 1550lbft. Lightweight trucks from Fraley and Schilling. One does 7.5 and the other does 6.5 both spec'd identical. Parts in the Midwest anywhere close to an auto plant and you will be OK. Jack Cooper has a bunch of these in car haulers. We lost a water pump in Oregon and it was a five day fiasco. Parts aren't expensive. Maintenance isn't bad to do. Make sure the belt tensioners and idlers are good because there is a grand looking for a place to happen.

We ran a bunch in car hauler Sterling from '04 up to the end '08 last Sterlings Mercedes was the only engine option in the car hauler chassis. Boss was upset when he couldn't get CAT anymore, but the Mercedes worked OK. Now with Volvo and freightliner/Detroit emissions/electronic issues, he's wishing we had the Sterlings back lol. One thing I do remember, DO NOT use ether(starting fluid) on these engines!!! With the individual cylinder heads, you will break something. Usually head bolts.

We had two 2006's, in a Freightliner and a Sterling. Four axle dump trucks that gross 80,000 pounds. They were 450/1650 rating.

Never had any issues with them and they were by far the best trucks I have ever seen on fuel.

But for some reason lots of guys I know that had them in highway applications couldn't keep them together?

Maybe it boils down to maintenance on them? We don't run to the full recommended oil change intervals, always do ours early. So maybe that has something to do with it?

The MBE4000 came with aluminum pistons as did all the European transplants. This is a big weakness of the engine! I don't know if later versions had steel pistons once Mercedes learned the American way of building a robust diesel engine via Detroit Diesel.