Finally went and did it

XDude ,congratulations on your class a! I suspect a large percentage of the steering wheel holders out there would fail the pre trip! I believe that anyone driving a commercial vehicle should have to at least be required to learn a pre trip! Even non cdl drivers! I can't count the straight trucks with lights out and bald tires that I see in my four wheeler! I was grandfathered into my class a,because I had a Pa class 3 before the CDL came out. If you fail one part of the test do you have to take the whole thing over?,or just the part you failed?

• 4 weeks later...

If you fail a portion of the test, you have to start over on that portion.  Say if you pass the pre trip then fail the road test for whatever reason, you don't have to retest the pre trip again. You start on the road portion.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

18 hours ago, Freightrain said:

If you fail a portion of the test, you have to start over on that portion.  Say if you pass the pre trip then fail the road test for whatever reason, you don't have to retest the pre trip again. You start on the road portion.

That's true, but unfortunately my permit expired before I could schedule a second test.  The guy at the Penndot desk told me they no longer issue permit extensions so I had to get a new permit.  When you get a new permit, it wipes the slate clean and you have to take all the tests again.

Way back when I was a teenager, Minnesota enacted a motorcycle drivers test.  They put up a couple flags on a side street and the rider would have to do a couple figure "8s" around those flags, then come back towards the officer.  When he dropped his arm, the rider whould have to do a "panic stop."  I borrowed a two stroke 100cc Yamaha from a friend and took the test.   I watched the ones ahead of me go very slow and wiggle , jiggle and weave around those flags.  I went a little faster thinking it would be more stable.  Couldn't hold the turn, jumped the curb and turned around in some guy's yard.  When he dropped his arm for the panic stop, I jammed my foot down on the foot brake pedal.  Damned pant leg got caught on kick start pedal, couldn't reach the brake pedal, and damn near ran over the officer!

A couple years later I took a much differt riders test with my 750 four Honda.  Easily passed that one.  Have never let that endorsement lapse.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xdudebrahx said:

When you get a new permit, it wipes the slate clean and you have to take all the tests again.

True, didn't think about the permit side.  But those tests are pretty self explanatory.  Ohio uses TV screen with pictures and 4 answers.  If you really paid attention, they re used the same question with a different word missing for you to pick.  You don't really have to memorize much, but just have to have some common sense to pass it.

Just like the motorcycle permit test.  Same deal, you have to get 75% to pass, well the test only lasts long enough for you to get to 75% and it stops.  I hadn't missed one, but it said "I passed" when it got to number 16 of 20 questions.  What?  Same deal, it really just helps weed out the clueless people.  Not really difficult if you read the question carefully.

The riding course is the same.  Many just borrow a little scooter to take it on, then hop on their full dresser and lay it over.  I took the state riders course(2 days) and got my license.  It was overly simplified and went quickly.  Second day you took the basic test like you have at DMV, but you used their 250 Rebels LOL!!!  Taking it like this was suppose to help with my insurance.  Nope, that was a lie.  State Farm didn't care at all.  Not that I am a high risk anyway, but to safe a few bucks I tried.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"