Finally went and did it

I remember my test.  The girl testing must have liked me??  Told me I only had to do ONE side of the truck on the pre-trip.  "The other side is just a duplicate".  Well, okay then.  I had like 15 extra minutes in the cab to chat as the timer ran out.  I forget what the time limit is?

It is one of those nerve racking tests, for sure.  Once done, you realize it isn't all that bad.  I rented their truck so it was much easier on me to not worry about if the truck would pass pre trip.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 2/27/2017 at 7:31 PM, hatcity said:

Congrats.!!!

At least you have REAL experience in the B segment so you understand.

not like the puppy mill steering wheel holders out there

Likewise congrats-and Hatcity right on!  40+ years ago as a  terminal mgr, I would have all these guys come in with their new "class 1 ( a)"s.  and with no experience looking for a haz mat job no less.  My speech was always the same-in short.."get yourself some road experience in a straight job"

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I remember my test.  The girl testing must have liked me??  Told me I only had to do ONE side of the truck on the pre-trip.  "The other side is just a duplicate".  Well, okay then.  I had like 15 extra minutes in the cab to chat as the timer ran out.  I forget what the time limit is?

It is one of those nerve racking tests, for sure.  Once done, you realize it isn't all that bad.  I rented their truck so it was much easier on me to not worry about if the truck would pass pre trip.

Yeah they still only make you do one side.  They told me you have unlimited time for the pre-trip.  I wish I was joking, but it took me an hour before I even got in the cab.  

I took a 48' skateboard and a 95 Pete with a bit of a wheelbase and thankfully my work had it gone over with a fine tooth comb before the test.  Still plenty to be nervous about.  You never know what they're gonna nit-pick.

18 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Likewise congrats-and Hatcity right on!  40+ years ago as a  terminal mgr, I would have all these guys come in with their new "class 1 ( a)"s.  and with no experience looking for a haz mat job no less.  My speech was always the same-in short.."get yourself some road experience in a straight job"

I'm looking for a job do I have enough exxxxxxxperice ---ok I i want to munch $$$$$$$ it funny-big guy make big  little guy make $$$$$$$

Ed

Oh my B test when I was 18... In downtown White Plains, New York.  Done with the test about to pull back into the DMV lot but have to make a left turn across two lanes of traffic.  Two cars stop to let me through because the light in front of them is red.  I initiate the turn just as the cop 3 cars back lights em up and blips the siren.  The guy in the far lane pulls forward and I have to stop.  He stays there and now I'm blocking the two lanes that the cop needs to get through.  Pull the brake, turn the truck off, put it in gear, get out and run to the back of the truck to check and see if its clear, run back to the cab get in, fire it up, brakes off, back up 4 feet, continue my turn in front of the car that was blocking me and I get into the lot and traffic clears and the cop goes by.  Guy says with a straight face.... "You should have put the truck in neutral before you started it again instead of just pushing the clutch in".  I must have looked scared as could be, because he said "relax you passed" and proceeded to laugh his ass off.... Then I look out over the hood to see the guy who brought me for my test laughing his ass off.  

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

I did a class to get my cdl worked in garbage for 2 years now the DOT so I pretty much got a class A to drive straight jobs. :blink: I may have some limited opportunity using a tow plow or a rare trip with the low boy. Nobody would hire me for tractor trailer not having experience so I got my start at casella. Regardless it is still hands down best investment I have ever made.

• Like 1

Ya, I had my "chauffeurs" license back in 1986?  Just a written test and I had it.  I let it lapse when the CDL came around because I didn't need it then.  Then about 15 yrs later I have to start from scratch>  Go figure.  Lucky I didn't have to take any schools, just the tests.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 2/28/2017 at 2:47 PM, Freightrain said:

Must have taken her home before the testing day.  Ata boy Larry.

• Like 1