UPS Tests Residential Delivery Via Drone UPS UPS

kscarbel2

UPS Press Release  /  February 21, 2017

UPS announced it has successfully tested a drone that launches from the top of a delivery truck. The test was conducted in collaboration with drone-maker Workhorse. Sending drones to make deliveries from package cars could bolster efficiency in our network by reducing miles driven.

Pretty crazy looks like a good idea I'm sure like anything else like can go sour just hope it doesn't take too many jobs away like lots of other electronic advancements our progress whatever you want to call it they can't do any worse than their driver is due at least in my area hahaha Bob

Really don't see any savings. The driver sits in the truck monitoring the drone, probably takes the same time as it would normally take to drive up and off load it.  Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 2/22/2017 at 9:39 AM, 41chevy said:
Really don't see any savings. The driver sits in the truck monitoring the drone, probably takes the same time as it would normally take to drive up and off load it.  Paul

I'm sure there's a lotta things to go sour although they produce alotta them here in Reno so I'm not totally against them however I don't think thier 100 percent someone has to monitor them brilliant idea but not fool proof. And how do they find a cool spot to drop but then the UPS drivers around here are not worth a s*** so I am sure of a magic robots couldn't do any worse I probably mention that before the UPS drivers around here are absolutely horrible I would fire them the first day and then when you called to complain is the worst part they don't want to hear it at all.

This is pure PR BS. Battery life is the limiting factor in the range of any electric vehicle, and a helicopter is even more wasteful than an aircraft. Thus if you're going to design a small delivery drone, to get the best range you're going to design a wheeled vehicle. For safety reasons you want it to be small and operate in places where there is little traffic... Thus the first working drones will be something along the lines of a big RC truck or a small ATV. They'll be used first in rural areas and controlled environments like corporate campuses until they're developed to the point where they can be turned loose in the general population.