slow starting

davehummell

Hello everyone, I thought I could get some Ideas from someone smarter than me. When I picked up the truck I had to use ether to start it so I figured it was losing fuel prime so I put a gauge on it and ended up changing the feed and return hoses and one fuel filter hose and I change the fittings they were suspect. I now have correct running pressure. How long should the pressure stay on the gauge when stopped? I have new batterys and cables and it cranks plenty fast enough but I think it takes to long to fire off. I think I shall adjust the valves just to be sure if I find some valve cover gaskets. I hate to send the pump out to test god only knows  what that will cost. thank you Dave.

Valve cover gaskets are easy.  Anything for a 2 valve will work, like 237 up to a 300.

If cold it will take a few seconds to light off, but once warm it should kick off instantly for the most part.

I just put a fuel pressure gauge on my 237 to check for issues with my power.  Can't say I remember watching how long it takes to bleed down once I shut it off?  I wonder if the check valve is leaking down on the return line?  Not sure if that would show on pressure gauge?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

does it have smoke out the exhaust the very instant you first wind it over??

if it does you then know you arent loosing fuel 

So the only other problem it can be is compression which can be caused by two things that I can think of off the top of my head 

timing , the injector pump isnt timed correct to the motor and is a bit retarded , you would be surprised how common this appears to be 

or worn motor parts eg valves needing a valve grind if the motor has Indians you would head towards rings been crook 

Paul

Can you buy a spring for the return check valve? I took it apart and lapped the poppet to the body with compound. Someone had used an old screw to up the pressure. I have 16 to18 lbs when running. When I pump the priming pump I can reach 30lbs and It drops off within 15 seconds to zero. I don't think it should do that. Thanks Dave

14 hours ago, davehummell said:

Can you buy a spring for the return check valve? I took it apart and lapped the poppet to the body with compound. Someone had used an old screw to up the pressure. I have 16 to18 lbs when running. When I pump the priming pump I can reach 30lbs and It drops off within 15 seconds to zero. I don't think it should do that. Thanks Dave

that sounds about right to me , check the basics first as I have already said does it make smoke straight away , takes away all the guess work doing just basic checks 

Crap, I had the truck out yesterday moving stuff around and as I walked up to it I told myself I need to check fuel pressure when I shut it off and see how longs it takes to drop to zero.  Yup, forgot.  Dang it anyway.  Need to check it tonight?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

9 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Crap, I had the truck out yesterday moving stuff around and as I walked up to it I told myself I need to check fuel pressure when I shut it off and see how longs it takes to drop to zero.  Yup, forgot.  Dang it anyway.  Need to check it tonight?

Blame it On the time change.  

• Like 1