Beaverdam

One wire alternator on B model mack

I have a B77 Mack with a 335 turbo cummins can I put a one woe alternator on it looks like it has a Chevy style alternator on now if I can what amp size should I buy 

When hooking up a one wire alternator on a truck with more then one battery ware do you hook the wire off the alternator 

t

the starter seloniod or  the positive of the closest battery

Edited by mrgumby

1 minute ago, mrgumby said:

to the positive of the closest battery

As long as the system has been converted to a Negative ground. There is, if needed a one wire Positive ground one wire  GM style alternator, I have a 120 amp  one on my B mixer.

i was going to mention that about pos ground but i figured most trucks by now were converted to neg ground..everyone i know has.. an easy swap   wasn.t thinking so good point glad you brought it up

3 minutes ago, mrgumby said:

i was going to mention that about pos ground but i figured most trucks by now were converted to neg ground..everyone i know has.. an easy swap   wasn.t thinking so good point glad you brought it up

Seems there is always a few that surface, like mine.

also is it a twelve volt starter or 24   if its a24 then to battery not selonoid post

I was unaware that early Macks were positive ground until I tried to hook up a Buick radio backwards in a late 60s R model 😁

• Like 1