Need To Clean The Block Internally:

Rob

What would be a good cleaner for the cooling system that is loaded with rust, and garbage?

I typically use a 10%-20% muratic acid mix two or three times and it's always worked well, but looking for other ideas. Don't care about leaks because if it does, they needed fixed anyways.

I removed all the hoses and ordered new and in the radiator tanks, and lower hose was this nasty, thick, rust paste that is very slimey.

Don't think the cooling system has had the greatest of maintenance! There is no water in the oil and the engine runs smooth, so hopefully the liners and such are still in sound shape.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Tonight I ran a 10% solution of muratic acid, (31% concentration in bottle) to water and let the truck run in the driveway for almost three hours. It drips consistently, (but slow) from the water pump and the temp never came past 160 degrees. I held the engine at about 1800 rpm for a while, let it idle for a while, revved to clear etc.. I then drained some of the nastiest looking garbage from the petcock that I've seen in a while. Had to keep cleaning it out with a piece of wire till I decided to remove the petcock complete. It then drained much better. I will do this again tomorrow but will up the concentration to 20%.

I'm telling you the engine in this chassis really sounds nice. There is a distinct clatter of needing the overhead run, but nothing detrimental to operation. I need to order gaskets and make a few adjustments before starting to drive it. I did "rob" from a parts truck a shift tower and rebuilt my handle so the wild swinging is gone. The gear shifting progression is firm, crisp, and dependable. The brakes work very well, (into the windshield type good) and the clutch seems good. It is noisey when the pedal is depressed and sounds like the driving dogs in the flywheel are hammering on the center disc of the clutch assy. I'll get that addressed later.

I have the parts to rebuild the air shifting cylinders, but haven't gotten that far yet.

Even looks as the radiator may last for a little while.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Moving right along, eh Rob?

Sounds like you got a real keeper. Once you get it in tip top shape, you can bring it over to my house and drop it off? LOL!!

Purple super clean I think is the name of a cleaner, or super clean.

its an acidic cleaner that works great that Ive used before with nice results but as with any acidic cleaner make sure you NUTRALIZE it with baking soda.

lick Chuck said as well. that stuff will eventually eat the liners. then you get sonic Pitting and thats bad.

Robert.

Purple super clean I think is the name of a cleaner, or super clean.

its an acidic cleaner that works great that Ive used before with nice results but as with any acidic cleaner make sure you NUTRALIZE it with baking soda.

lick Chuck said as well. that stuff will eventually eat the liners. then you get sonic Pitting and thats bad.

Robert.

Refilled the system with clear water this evening, let the engine run, then drained, and did the same again. I did not get to the plant to purchase more muratic acid due to job demands. Plan to continue tomorrow again with the 20% solution.

I can tell by looking in the top radiator tank that there are positive results so far.

Rob

Tonight I went at the acid thing again. Positive this evening as the heater started to blow hot air out of the box. I opened both side doors on the heater and out come seven "little ones" that were all dead from airflow. Little guys that weren't very old. The nest was in there also but the blower wheel made short order of it. Really glad I hadn't cleaned up the interior cause I'd have really been pissed off considering the mess I've got now. Mouse shit was flying like missles through the cab when I first opened the doors!

I premixed a 20% solution in an external jug, then pumped this into the radiator while the engine was running. The engine stabilized at about 150 degrees so while it just sitting there running, I figgered might as well do something so I put an old 55 gallon step tank on the driver's side and strapped it in. Looks a bit strange being a step tank with RL style tank brackets which have grip strut steps. While the cooling system was draining, I went ahead and hooked up the fuel lines and dumped 20 gallons of red fuel into it.

Upon a fresh fill of tap water, I decided to go for a little "spin" as I'd never driven the truck outside of my building. What a surprise this thing is on the throttle; Instantaneous is an accurate statement. After learning to shift this trans somewhat correct, it is a fun truck to drive. With no weight on the back it is a little light, but the suspension is soft being Reyco 102, (34,000lb).

I was always under the impression that Reyco suspension had very good articulation on a tandem setup. What seemed to be the slightest incline needed the power divider engaged to keep moving. I'm surprised how well and smooth the truck seems to be. I don't have the air o matic steering working as of yet. It has a switch to select it on or off in the dashboard with an electric air solenoid valve attached to the frame above the torque valve. I also have not checked for continuity, or DC power to this valve yet.

That big steering wheel has got to go, or I need to continue to reduce size and weight. It is hard to steer with my belly dragging on the horn button with the seat all the way back, and deflated. My 15 inch custom wheel would be nice but it would be too hard to turn with manual steeing.

Truck should be drained by now and I want to fill it again with fresh water. The drain water was nearing a clear stage, but still has rust color to it. I'm going to acid it again tomorrow evening and that will probably be it. I don't have low silicate anti-freeze but need to get a barrel. Is any one brand better that the others?

Thanks,

Rob