Something in Common with ex-Late Night Host

Mike

On 7/21/2016 at 4:26 PM, tjc transport said:

what does Jay have?

i have a 66 7 litre 4 speed convertible.

66.jpg

Sorry for the delay. I have been trying to post at work where my computer is but was able to do so on my g/f computer. Nice looking 7 Litre. Have not seen any for a long time. Dads Galaxie did not come with the wheel caps you see in my photo. He disliked them and put a set of wire hub caps on but thiefs liked them so he put these on. I think Jay Lenos dad had a 427 with all of the hopped up components.I did like Jay, and bought my dads car also.

• Like 2

Jay's didn't have a 427,  it was a 7 Litre car(428).

A friend does have this:  Real factory built 427 car.  He has the paperwork from the original owner down in GA?  Somewhere down there.

SDC10377.jpg

SDC10381.jpg

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

ya baby,,,,66 is one of my favorite years.....back around 1990 i wound up with a one owner 62 beach wagon...78 thousand miles 390 car was almost immaculate,,,other than needed paint paint job....had no reverse gear....i rebuilt transmission and sold it to a freind of mine....dont know what i was thinking....im still kicking myself for selling it....one of my lifes dumb mistakes...bob

i actually found that video on /Jays car the day after i posted that question.

i have the original wheel covers for my car. i found it in a barn in northwest jersey back in the mid 90's. all original. the owner parked it in his grandfathers barn before going to vietnam in 69, and forgot about it.

when i found it the barn was falling down. i talked to the farmer, and he said that old clunker? that was my sons race car back in the 60'. he rode her hard and put her away wet.

we agreed if i could get it out of there i could have it.

4 tires later it was on a roll back headed home. i had to put new gas tank, new top, all new brakes and lines, new fuel lines, new clutch, all new rubber parts in it, and got it running. it had a bad miss due to 1 burned and 2 bent exhaust valves. pulled the heads and redid them.

it now has 95k miles on it. i need to pull the engine to freshen up the bottom end, it looses oil pressure when hot.  it will do over 170mph, (clocked that fast on radar on a closed roadway) and it will smoke the rear wheels when power shifted into fourth at 100mph.

with the 3.00 gears, it idles at 15 mph in first gear.

my investment to get it where it is is only $5,000

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 7:56 AM, Freightrain said:

You can attach files from your computer or link them from Photobucket or the like.

Not sure about this or photobucket, but here is a kids mistake that kept him poor when bought November 1972. Had a 351 Cleveland. It was all I could think about at the time. 

Cars 005.jpg

• Like 2