END673E specs.

Hi all. Got our little MB torn apart with a confirmed cyl 4 blown head gasket. Sourced all the needed gaskets to do the job, but as the picture shows, I have more issues then just a head gasket. Once I source the pistons, (all are well cracked up) going to need the torque specs for the rod caps, I'd like to drop and check a main bearing while I have the pan off, so main bearing cap torque and I have a head torque procedure from 1973, but with the newer superceded gaskets, has the torque procedure been updated? Hoping someone can get help me out!

Thanks!!

Snapchat-7710612278301913774.jpg

This is out of the 1977 Mack TS 442 book.  Sorry for such a bad view looking down the cylinders.

50, 100, 175 lbs on the head in three stages. 150 on the rod.  11/16 main cap 200 and 5/8 main cap 150.

Mack Head 1.JPG

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

One thing i want to add to this is when installing and torquing the rod bolts make sure you have side play clearance between the rod and crank and rodcab and crank.Ialways tighten the bolts some then with ahammer tap the rod cap to the side and thentorque.Then slidea .006 feeler gauge between the rod and crank and cap and crank.If there is no clearance it can burn the crank and rod from lack of clearance.

glenn akers

Thanks for the tid bits of information. Having a real hard time sourcing pistons for the old girl. My local Mack guy is going to call Barry at Watts tomorrow, but does anyone know where I could get pistons for this, OEM or aftermarket?    4.875 bore with the 1.875 wrist pin. I found plenty of 2 inch wrist pin pistons available. I found PAI has the right config, but its a lower compression ratio piston I'm assuming for a turbocharged engine. 15:1 vs my 16.1:1. Any thoughts on that as well? Thanks!

Edited by 70mackMB