The Dog is sick!

R.E.D

While at the yard today  I was using the air tanks to power some impact guns.I had the engine running at around 1200rpms off the cruise control for like 45 mins.When I go to shut her down I notice the exhaust side of turbo is bathing in oil.Pull turbo off thinking it was shot and to my surprise both outlets of the  exhaust manifold were wet with oil.I ran the truck without turbo at around 1200 rpm for 45 seconds and more oil started to wet the inside of the outlet of the manifold.I would like to know what this could be and how to fix it.96 rd 350hp .

thanks RED

The oil is coming from worn valve guide and or worn rings and that's to be expected when run with out a load for that long of time.You may try to have valve seals replaced and see if that helps but if its not using a lot of oil it may be ok for some time.When the engine is working the valve seals and guides have turbo pressure pushing oil back were it should be but at a no boost mode oil comes down the valve stem into the cyl.

• Like 2

glenn akers

Well ...it did run quite some time .so if is put back together it should be OK while under load?if it is possible I would like to run it.this upcoming week is the first in Houston with no heavy rain after the floods and would like to catch up on some overdue jobs.On the other hand I'm not the type to risk additional engine damage.

I Put everything back and ran it at highway speeds ..opened hood and no oil dripping or bathing anything...hopefully it was a one time thing..while installing I noticed the manifold gasket from cylinder 1 and 5 wet .therefore I believe those two were the culprit.i will keep an eye on this and prepare for a head rebuild.

• Like 1