Mystery metal

BAD DOG

Found these two funny looking l little critters on the oil drain plug in my engine . Any ideas as to what or where inside they may have came from. They look like pieces from rivets? Look like aluminum but stick to a magnet. Everything seems to be working fine but the curiosity is killing me.

image.jpeg

Yeah they don't even look like anything I've ever seen inside the engine. Look like ends off of rivets but I don't remember anything with rivets inside when we had it torn down. That why I think they could be from a foreign source.

Haven't figured it out yet.  They re solid on the ends so I don't think they're from the piston cooling nozzles.  They sure look like the mushroomed end off of some kid me of rivet. That's what's puzzling me. They don't look like a Ke anything from the inside of the engine.

they could be from some other source  but they sure look like the tips i spoke of . as well as appearing hollow in the pics  you say they are solid? not possibly battered shut from being batted around in the engine?  i don`t have a cooler handy to compare but if that is what they are you would have noticed a slight drop in oil pressure         cc

She still runs 35 to 40 at an idle and 80 when  you run it just like it always has so    oil pressure seems to be ok. I've had issues with cooling nozzles in other engines before and oil pressure did drop. The pieces identicle They look like a cross between  buck rivet and a grease sert. But are solid on the one end. 

What kind of engine do you have?  At one time years ago and I cant remember when people were putting pop rivets in the rocker arm at the end of the slipper oil hole to keep oil from coming out, I think it was to cut down on oil around valve guides before valve guide seals, pull your valve cover and check the oil holes and see if any pop rivets are in your's, I seen several engines back in the day.

22 minutes ago, br549 said:

What kind of engine do you have?  At one time years ago and I cant remember when people were putting pop rivets in the rocker arm at the end of the slipper oil hole to keep oil from coming out, I think it was to cut down on oil around valve guides before valve guide seals, pull your valve cover and check the oil holes and see if any pop rivets are in your's, I seen several engines back in the day.

I tought of that the other day but then I said that was a cummins that did that, so I never said any thing.I don't remember so good any more but did mack ever do this?

glenn akers