What are these two lines from the block?

razorback11

I am putting my 65 Mack B-61ST back together after a year of scraping, scrubbing, desolving, sandblasting, plasma cutting, priming and painting...well you get the picture. Speaking of pictures, I took a bunch when I dismantled the truck to help me when I get to the "putting it back together" stage where I am now. Problem is, my photography skills aren't any better than my truck building skills so I nee your help on some things.

On the ditch side of my END 711, toward the rear of the block, a little above the removable side plates (where the lifters can be accessed), are two brass 90 degree fittings that had lines on them. The front most fitting had a line that went into the top of the Air Compressor. My first question is: Is this a oil line or does it bring coolant into the compressor? (I am assuming Oil but don't know). The rear most fitting has a line that runs to a brass canister like thing that was just hanging from other lines that went to the heater and elsewhere. It appears to me to be some sort of heat exchanger for the heater or something. Can someone tell me what that thing really is, what it does, and if that line from the block delivers oil or coolant? I have two photos I will attempt to load. Both are when everything was dirty and nasty. One shows the lines coming off the fittings with that canister, and the other are just the fittings themselves. I would appreciate any info you experts could provide. Thanks.post-17545-0-48039200-1451827373_thumb.jpost-17545-0-11385600-1451827410_thumb.j

I believe you have all nailed it. The canister thing has wires running into to that have been cut so it was probably a block heater. So let me ask then, If I run a line from the forward fitting to the air compressor, and replace the rear fitting with a petcock/drain valve, does that sound like a way ahead? Bulldog, I see your first picture, the line coming off of what I would term the forward fitting, but I can't see where it leads to. Can you explain? Thanks all.

You could put a pipe plug in the rear hole. The forward fitting hose makes a U and goes into the head of the compressor. The bottom hose comes off the base of the compressor runs along the block behind the injection pump and goes to the bottom of the water pump.