T306G clutch replacement

bulldogfan

Hello, long time lurker first truck issue. I recently purchased a 2007 CXN 613. It has the 355 ASET motor and T306G 6spd trans.

The other day I noticed a brief slip in the clutch while trying to start on a hill loaded. I crawled under the truck tonight and see a eaton fuller "solo" cluctch. The adjuster is all the way over to the replace side of the clutch. Also the clutch brake is almost shot. I have done quite a few clutch jobs in the past, just not on a mack big truck. I am curious to know what the trans weighs? I am sure it is deceiving but doesn't look that awful heavy being all aluminum. Also I want to know what else to look for while apart. truck has 648,000 on it. how big of a deal to replace rear main seal? Any advice is appreciated.

The clutches are heavy but you can man handle them in. They have 2 discs. You will need an alignment tool to install the clutch. Basically a tool that looks like the trans input shaft. Find 2 longer clutch mounting bolts ( the bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel). Cut the heads off and use them as guide pins while installing the clutch, that way you dont have to hold it there while installing the other mounting bolts. If you install another solo clutch, remove the caging bolts before you remove the alignment tool. If you pull the tool out first the discs will drop. Rear main seal are easy to install, just like any other seal but you will need the installer tool. You've done other clutches, you can do this. You just need a tranny jack that can hold the trans.

Thanks for the pointers. The more I consider this job, I really am leaning towards the self adjusting clutch.

It is one less thing that I will have to remember to do. Besides hunting junkyards for an old input shaft, where can I purchase

the clutch alignment tool? Seems like most other clutches included a plastic one in the kit?

Ive never seen a heavy truck clutch come with an alignment tool. You can buy a plastic one, someone here probably knows where or just google it. I "acquired" mine over the years, I dont remember where it came from. The plastic one would be the way to go if you plan on lifting the clutch into place, less weight.

come at it from the other side..!!

I couldn't find the size of alignment tool I needed so I loaded the spicer clutch onto the trans input shaft, put two cut down bolts into bellhousing for alignment and it rolled in easy...a bit of wiggling got the cover bolts on... only downside is constantly turning the engine to torque the cover bolts...

BC Mack

post-10384-0-60322700-1448063752_thumb.j

post-10384-0-86849000-1448063826_thumb.j

• Like 1

I was able to purchase the "plastic input shaft alignment" tool off eBay. Good ol' eBay! got it used at a reasonable price.

Now I must start the process of rounding up parts. Also.. KT_Engineer I hadn't thought about input shaft seal. You don't hear much about it?

Is that a big deal to do?

Also, I really wonder if I have to get flywheel turned. I currently have no slippage or chattering, just plan to replace before I have a real problem!

• 3 months later...

Good choice We NEVER put solos back in unless someone requests  or insists! And I have only seen one ever make it to the worn out stage!

they usually stop adjusting about half way worn and you got to replace em anyway!

Just my observation!