Trunnion Stand Replacement

Mcrafty1

Let me start by saying this may be already have been discussed on here...but I'm too lazy to search it out. I recently discovered my OEM trunnion stand was rotted and cracked (1986 RD685S), and with the truck being an Dump truck I wasn't looking forward to replacing it with a new OEM stand. I did a little digging and found an aftermarket stand that is installed in sections allowing to just burn the old one out and nothing has to be removed from the truck other than the old stand to do it. The stand was $2600.00 and the labor was about the same so over all I was very happy to have found this product/method of curing this enevitable problem with these older Macks. I'll post a link to the aftermarket stand for anyone that may be interested.......

http://www.stengelbros.com/MackParts.htm

Edited by Mcrafty1

From looking the style their trunnion stand is built I'm not sure it will offer about as good strength distribution to frame rails with its welded-on pipe extensions as OEM one wich contacts by whole U-member. That's a big difference transmitting strenght through points or between big surface. Much less stress concentration.

On the other hand they offer their stuff and I think it was designed by some way and proofed. So should work.

It seems they have a big offer on other aftermarket suspension components including Neway parts.

Thank you for posting the link.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

You just need to look at one and I think you will agree it is better than factory.

My thoughts exactly, at the very least there is zero chance of it rotting out and needing replacement in one mans liftime, unlike the OEM with the hollow stand and holes to let stuff in but none to let it back out. As much as I like Macks design on the camelback they missed the mark on the trunnion stand.

The plate steel is 1in thick and the bolt holes need resized to except the 1in bolts, also the dowels between the new stand and frame offer far less place for corrosives to build up and rot the frame in that area also

Edited by Mcrafty1