Students across U.S. to march over debt, free public college

kscarbel2

had not heard of the KFC, but knowing what trash roams our streets I didn't have to let my mind travel to far to come up with that answer.

Popeyes across from Fort KFC

click pic

post-3242-0-97807900-1447509970_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'd LOVE to be a college professor....

Want to walk out? Fine...there's the door.

2 minutes later, after everyone who wants "free" education has left: POP QUIZ! This will be worth 30% of your final grade.

Make-up essay will be offerred to make up half the points you could have earned had you stuck around to take the quiz. In the essay, I'd want to see that you understand that: 1) actions have consequences, 2) nothing in life is "free"...SOMEBODY has to pay for it, and 3) your future is your own responsibility, and if you want to reap the benefits (good job, wealth) you have to make the investment (hard work, saving, and your education).

Bottom line, if you don't give a damn about you, nobody else is going to give a damn about you either. Even if you DO give a damn about you, others still probably won't give a damn about you because they have their own self to give a damn about...no time or energy left to give a damn about you...so if you want to make a better life for yourself, it's up to you to give a damn about yourself. If you don't give enough of a damn about yourself to put forth the effort to make that happen for yourself, why should anybody else give a damn for you?

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I am in no way in favor of giving kids a free tuition for college, but I am in the belief that the cost for public university education is getting absurd today. I have two daughters who have graduated from college and we saved for both of them to obtain there degrees, the oldest graduated with over $65,000 in loans that she is paying off and the other has $28,000 in loans to pay off. They live on there own and both work a lot, one is a nurse in Cleveland and the other a dental assistant, and they both make good money but still after all there bills they don't have much left to save. I just feel college tuition is not a right but a state university we all support should not be able to charge private school costs,,,,and yes both my kids got great educations they have put to great use but no public school should be able to charge almost $40,000 a year with room and board. Just my thought.

• Like 1

Airport workers at 9 U.S. hubs to strike Wednesday night

The Washington Post / November 18, 2015

Airport workers at nine of the busiest U.S. airports are going on strike Wednesday night to protest what they say are poor working conditions and retaliation for unionizing.

More than 2,000 workers, including cleaners, wheelchair attendants, and baggage handlers plan to strike at Fort Lauderdale, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago O’Hare, Newark Liberty and New York’s Kennedy and LaGuardia airports, and Washington’s Reagan National and Dulles.

The walkout is part of a growing national campaign for a $15-an-hour minimum wage for the lowest-paid airport workers who keep terminals and plane cabins clean, move bags and transport people with disabilities.

They work for contractors that serve all major airlines, and some of them are making hourly salaries as low as $6.75, union leaders say.

“Despite working fulltime, they cannot afford to rent a room for themselves let alone take care of their families,” said Marc Goumbri, an SEIU spokesman with the workers campaign. “The workers have a right to get together under federal law and fight for better working conditions, but when they do so they face retaliation from the contractors.”

It is unclear how the strike, expected to start around 7:30 p.m. and extend until Thursday, will impact airport operations.

post-16320-0-75158300-1447895328.jpg