What's 12 lbs. worth?

GOOG

My 1993 Superliner with a 400 HP Mack is about 12 pounds down on boost. Making under 20 pounds my other trucks make 31-36. Tested it last night and found a pretty big leak in the charge air cooler. I ordered a cooler from Mack today. So, the big question is , how much power am I losing due to the lack of boost? I think at least 100 HP. A third of the boost has to cost a quarter of the power. (McDonalds math)

Usually 10 hp for every pound off boost. But I doubt its true. I feel like my mack maybe makes 460 or over but im not sure. I make 43 pounds by 1200 rpm in my rd. To be honest it doesnt really even make a difference having all that power when you only got a 9 speed and have to worry about using too much fuel or boost at a low rpm in overdrive. Sorry about the rant, but I think you lost at least 100 hp

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I just put the truck to work, so I don't know how much boost it should make. I think it will be in the neighborhood of 31-36 lbs. I've heard it said that every 15 lbs. doubles the HP. So, if it takes 36 lbs. to make 400, and I have about half that, is it safe to say I'm 50% off in power?

I took a 61,000 lb. crusher to Leesport, Penn. on Wed. The hills on 78 knocked me for a loop. The truck ran like it had a 237 in it instead of a 400. Whatever the HP loss is, I believe it's dramatic. I'll know Monday.