237 problems

66rmack

So I recently picked up a 70 r model for parts for my dads 66. The 237 that's in it ran two years ago. But they were pulling into a field and it quit running. The guy I bought it from said it did this about 10 years ago and it was the fuel pump gear broke. Is this a known thing? I would guess it's not and if it is indeed broken again either the pump is bad or possibly worn out timing gears/ out of time? Has any one had similar trouble? I'm just wondering what I can sort of expect and some ideas before I tear it apart, It seems to spin over fine by hand. With no binding. Any help is appreciated thank you. - Pete

The earlier 237's with the old drive(one with the ball bearings and small shaft) did have a reputation for breaking the shaft.

This arrangement was used on the 673's and worked fine with 9mm plungers used in the 673 pumps.

When they went to the 11mm plungers used in the ENDT 675 Maxidyne engine pumps they would fail.

Ron

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I got in to the engine a little bit and I seems that the shaft that bolts to the injection pump timing gear is broken. Is there a chance some one has a diagram? Or the name of the shaft? I have called a couple dealers with no luck at finding the part. It doesn't seem to have anything else wrong with it.

• 3 weeks later...

The later one consisted of an aluminum housing for the shaft to ride in (no bearings). The newer larger shaft. A special coupler between the shaft and pump drive(different size slots). The only real rub is you have drill a hole in the block to have the oil feed to the new aluminum housing to lubricate the shaft. Can't remember for sure exactly how this was done. But you had to drill a hole from an existing gallery in the block over to the bore where housing for the pump shaft sits in the block. It really wasn't that hard, just scarry being careful you didn't mess something up. You needed a long 1/8" drill bit (6" or 8" long), put grease on it to collect most of the shavings. There's a service bulletin for for it. I have one some where. I'm not going to look for it, my filing system is much too complicated!!! I'm sure someone else can find it much faster than I would be able to.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you for your info. I got the truck running by using the shaft out of my dads junk 250. I plan to upgrade the shaft. But as of now I'm not to worried about it. But if someone does have the info I would really apriciate it as I will do the upgrade at some point.