05 mack 460 18 speed power?

johnsmack

ok here we go. a month ago I bought a 2005 cxn613 with the 460 and 18 speed. after 3 weeks in the shop getting wet kit, replacing broken springs, bad wheel seals etc. I got to move some heavy equipment. The hoes and dozers I am moving put me at a gvwr of 90 to 95 thousand. Living and hauling in west central Illinois we have hills but nothing huge. I have a mack tandem with 350 mack and a super 10. Grossing 75 to 80 we down shift once on "the hill" when moving smaller machines. With the new setup [460 mack grossing 90 to 95] we had to down shift twice. What should I expect? Turbo boost maxed at 25 psi when pulling the hills. Someone tell me what is normal. .Thanks

Next question, Dealer says 20 to 30 is normal boost. Have the trucks that are getting 35 or 40 factory original or have they had some enhancements? The truck does seem geared high, it runs 60mph at 1250 rpm in 18. I seem to be in 16 or 17th gear at 1800rpm at the bottom of the hill. then drop 1 or 2 gears to get to the top. 1/2 mile long hill medium grade.

its getting a reman tranny this week. not concerned with power at this time. we we recover from new tranny expense we will revisit the power issues. its a mack 18 thought synchronizers were bad but had a broken gear as well. don't like used trucks.

Edited by johnsmack

• 1 year later...

well its been a while but i am back.  we got the tranny rebuilt, and then a new turbo as well as 2 eup pumps, I think that was what they were called. Power is still lousy although the turbo made a difference.  The boost went from 20 to 35.

Moving identical weight loads my 98 tandem with tag trailer at 350 hp will catch the 460 hp semi on a hill.  I have noticed the pyro meter will only reach 600 degrees after a long pull on a hill with 90,000 pounds. Filters have been changed (is it ever that simple). Miles are at 620000.  Where do we go from here?  I am ready for the ":it's like a new truck experience".  Any suggestions?