Scania testing hybrid trucks

BC Mack

something unusual but interesting...

I work on trolleybuses daily and know of some models that can switch from highway diesel to city overhead...

but Scania seems to believe there is a use for this changeable propulsion in the trucking industry... with an all electric truck on the horizon.

I know the cost of running a trolleybus is less than one third than that of a diesel... but new infrastructure is very costly.

one bus system has in place 'charging stations' for all electric buses where the bus gets a top-up, inductive systems are the next development where nothing touches, you just park over or under the charging 'loop'... main charge is done overnight at the depot.

you never know... no more egr problems..!!!!

Mercedes/Siemens also have the system under development

BC Mack

http://newsroom.scania.com/en-group/2012/07/04/electric-truck-for-alternative-ore-transportation/

http://ecomento.com/2014/03/17/scania-testing-pure-electric-mega-trucks-charge-wirelessly/

post-10384-0-55201600-1439956452_thumb.j

post-10384-0-06377800-1439956896.jpg

I didn't bring this up because I'm not completely sold on the concept. I do feel though we absolutely do need to investigate the viability of all possible options available with current and now maturing technologies.

The concept as it stands today may not be the way to go, but as is so often the case in R&D, we may glean newfound knowledge that we can apply in the next step.

http://newsroom.scania.com/en-group/2014/03/13/scania-tests-next-generation-electric-vehicles/

http://www.scania.com/media/pressreleases/N15020EN.aspx

KSC

I had a similar discussion with our engineers... same story, they are just waiting to see what falls out from this research. They see better batteries coming in 5 years, so, inductive top-up stations would make sense if they can reduce the atmospheric losses...

the cost per mile/km for new overhead would be the killer, we have enough issues with accident or construction diversions in town where no overhead exists.. I would not be too happy if I had to swerve on a freeway and lost connection with the wires, may rip them down getting back into the lane at that speed...

Cummins/Allison diesel "hybrid" is not seeing the gains envisaged so we've got to move onto something else, right now the buzz is on CNG/LNG because we got lots of the stuff here in BC... and a massive new hydro dam starting soon.

BC Mack

I’m interested in new road technology that would allow electric vehicles to charge as they drive. The technology has already been vetted in Sweden.

Trial use of new “charging” roads in the UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/off-road-trials-for-electric-highways-technology), using magnetic induction technology, will begin later this year.

Cables buried underneath the highway will generate electromagnetic fields that can be picked up by a receiver in the vehicle and transformed into electric power.

The system includes a communication system, allowing the roads to detect the vehicle and activate the process.

The UK is committing 500 million pounds (US$780 million) over the next five years on this project.

In the US, our EPA is wasting billions annually on flawed theory while the U.S. and state governments are spending $113 billion a year in welfare programs for illegal immigrants.

Supporting the development of innovative (dare I say world-leading) technology to create a viable alternative energy solution for on-road vehicles both large and small would be a far better use of taxpayer dollars.

I have no dislike for Cummins. But, the company seems to just lumber along, without any "cutting edge" technology emerging. In Europe on the contrary, as you very well know, you see cutting edge engineering coming out of the European truckmakers like Scania and Mercedes-Benz with regularity. The European truck industry, which realistically is the global truck industry, has as you personally know, evolved over the years into a very aggressive, hostile and unforgiving scene. You MUST be innovative and aggressive, or you disappear (the many UK truckmakers). But over in North America, the US truckmakers, and suppliers like Cummins, seem unable to adapt to the global market situation they now find themselves in (resulting from the US invasion by European companies).