Where/how Do You Store Your Truck?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but where and how do you store your mack? Garage, outside, ect. Also is it heated or to the elements. Also thoes who keep them under or in a structure but not heated how does your truck react to the cold? Our type 505 is in a storage shed but not heated, and im looking for a place to store my CF.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but where and how do you store your mack?  Garage, outside, ect.  Also is it heated or to the elements.  Also thoes who keep them under or in a structure but not heated how does your truck react to the cold?  Our type 505 is in a storage shed but not heated, and im looking for a place to store my CF.

I keep my 48 pumper in a 40 foot cargo container with a shed roof built over one side.

I dont think a CF would fit into one of these but you could place two of them on the ground about 25 or 30 feet apart and build a roof system over them and enclose one or both ends.

Around here (GA) you can get a 40 foot container for close to a grand, (delevered)

It is not heated unless I am working in it (wood stove) so anything left unpainted will rust pretty quick, other than draining the block, radiator and fire pump when it gets close to 30 degrees the cold is not a problem. In GA we do not get many nights or days below 30.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

Ive just bought myself a residential warehouse,

it has a ground floor with a 4.25m roller door and 4mx12m work bay with workshop area to one end , then a n office ,shower,laundry,toilet. Upstairs is a kitchen,living area and bedroom. The superdog looks kinda lonely in there , but im sure a few Mack posters will liven it up, only thing is that it needs twin roof extractors to take the smoke from the stacks when it starts up :P

Nigel. :chili:

Mines been outside since dirt was made...........LOL!!

Never covered, and probably will be that way for awhile. I have inside summer storage(thanks to the township), but come winter it will be sitting outside(somewhere, not home) as I need the indoor parking for my hot rods. They rank a bit above the ol B right now(More money invested in them).

I'd love to have one more stall.................(don't we all wish)

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Mines been outside since dirt was made...........LOL!!

Never covered, and probably will be that way for awhile.  I have inside summer storage(thanks to the township), but come winter it will be sitting outside(somewhere, not home) as I need the indoor parking for my hot rods.  They rank a bit above the ol B right now(More money invested in them).

I'd love to have one more stall.................(don't we all wish)

How does the truck take to the weather? any problems/ deteriatoin?

Like the others, my truck lives outside all year round. I was lucky that the paint on it was fairly new when I bought it. I wax it several times over the course of the spring / summer / fall. I go over all the chrome as well. And even the aluminum wheels. With the exception of cheap headlight bezels, I haven't had problems with pitting. I sure don't like keeping her outside. It sucks to have to wash, wax, and polish everything to go a show. Especially, when the only dirt you get on it is from rain and dirt in the air. I wish I could at least find somewhere to put it inside during the winter. I do worry about it being so close to the sidewalk (about a foot & a half) and street. But at least the neighborhood kids seem respectful.

Chris

Findlay, Ohio USA

This might seem strange, but would simply covering it with a tarp help?  i would keep the rain and stuff off it...  What do you think..?

I would not use a tarp, any moister traped under the tarp will not evaporate and in the long run will be worse than sitting outside.

Also tarps WILL scratch your paint and cause mildew inside the cab.

Paccarnut is going about it the right way, keep it waxed and as clean as you can, keep an eye on it if you have lots of snow and get that off as soon as you can.

I keep my tractors out side year round, all I do to them is try and keep them clean and waxed, one is 12 years old and looks just as good as the 3 year old tractor.

These truck were built to be outside in the weather, as long as you take care of it, being outside will not hurt if your paint is good, the sun will do more harm that the rain.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

David is exactly right. Tarps are a big NO-NO! They hold lots of moisture that will condensate and then recondensate.My grandpa was a firm believer in tarping his Ford tractor (after he ran out of room to keep it inside). After just 5 years, it not only had surface rust. But, serious rust-through and rot on it. Tractor only had 300 hours on it. But, it looked like several thousand. There are companies that make custom car covers that are "breathable." But I'm sure for your firetruck, they would charge you a small fortune.

Chris

Findlay, Ohio USA

I put some wax on the freshly painted fenders, chrome and diamond plate to keep the "newer" looking.

I used to keep a small tarp over the roof/windows to keep water from leading in the windshield. I just keep the carpet pulled up and that lets the water evaporate instead of rusting my fresh floorboards.

It's still a pretty original 45 yr old truck, so I don't get too upset if it ages more...LOL!!

(Now my hot rods I'm a bit more picky! )

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I am going to put up a lean-to between a few trees for my A, I dont like tarps either unless they're kept off the truck and have at least on end open like a big tent. Even then you get more condensation than one would like but fot this winter thats what I'll have to do as I cant get the Mack through the garrage doors :( I knew the barn should have been bigger :P

My next question, unfortunatly i havnt been able to find any good storage places in the area... Barry if you know of some that arnt rediculously expensive can you let me know? My truck has been in a nice happy warm garage forever, and now it might be sitting outside in the harsh cold PA winter. Other than draining the tank... will it be alright?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this has been posted before, but where and how do you store your mack?  Garage, outside, ect.  Also is it heated or to the elements.  Also thoes who keep them under or in a structure but not heated how does your truck react to the cold?  Our type 505 is in a storage shed but not heated, and im looking for a place to store my CF.

I have an RV and keep it in a wharehouse about 25 miles from where I live. I have my Mack there also. I pay $120 a month to store the Mack inside. I live in SoCal so heating and cooling is not a problem. It does get dusty but that is no problem.