2004 460 Hp Engines

farmerbob

Guys, I was looking at a buying a 2004 Mack Vison with a 460 hp engine until IO was told by a few machanics that in 2004 Mack had major enigine problems with the 460.

Any care to chare more info on this .

Turbocharger failure was a very large problem as I recall. Severe lead times on backorders due to the high failure rate.

They are much newer than I am accustomed to or see, so really have no useful input.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes rob is correct

turbo troubles and electrical issues seam to be the common problems in those years. I think it was more of the turbo mfg fault but it was blamed on Mack. I never heard the end of the whole story

My opinion is the E tech engines can go a million miles before rebuild but they dont have the same power that Cat and cummins do. Put a bone stock 450 cat and 460 mack on the same road same weight and the cat pulled better hell my 285 mechaical mack pulls better LOL. There was a real good ECU upgrade program for the 427-460 but the EPA killed it off. I do hope the MP (volvo) engines are an improvment over the E tech stuff. I have heard that the MP's pull better but have not had the chance to drive one yet.

go two years newer you will encounter less problems,You will still be stuck with a short list of on going issues!Exhast gaskets every year at least cracking exhast manifolds and cracking turbos cracking egr coolers yada yada All Heat related injurys.The base engine is good the rest of the junk bolted to it

how ever?????????????????????????////

Dont buy it unless its for local hauling or farm use. The 2004 CX and CH trucks had more warranty claims than any other trucks that Mack ever made. Later the CXN and CHN came out with the same engine but had most of the bugs worked out. We still have problems with EGR coolers(made in Mexico), VGT position sensors, EUP's and exhaust manifold gaskets. This is not to be confused with the 2004 CV's and vocational trucks which used a totally different version of the ETECH engine, thoses engines are great.

Dont buy it unless its for local hauling or farm use. The 2004 CX and CH trucks had more warranty claims than any other trucks that Mack ever made. Later the CXN and CHN came out with the same engine but had most of the bugs worked out. We still have problems with EGR coolers(made in Mexico), VGT position sensors, EUP's and exhaust manifold gaskets. This is not to be confused with the 2004 CV's and vocational trucks which used a totally different version of the ETECH engine, thoses engines are great.

Yup...that's why the company I'm leased to quit buying Macks. They USED to be 100% Mack, but with all of the problems they had with the '03 and '04 trucks, they bought a few freightshakers and a few petercars....the freightshakers are being phased out and they are sticking with the petercars...not sure if that'll change in 2010 when CAT no longer will supply the C-13...but they'll be "pre-buying" enough 2009's to give them a little time to figure out where to go next.

I'm in my own truck now...found a good low-mileage '01...so what the company buys really doesn't concern me too much...but I still wouldn't mind seeing them go back to the Macks...at least then the guys in the shop would keep the peculiarities of the Mack a little fresher in their heads when I have a question. :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!