Lyttleton Tunnel tight squeeze

Timothy Maikshilo

thats less than an inch Tim

Whats an inch here or there Tim ??? could be a heck of a lot better hope some cheeky bugger didnt change some tyres over night you mighten fit at all LOL

or perhaps you need drive flat out so she stretches out flat like a dog running flat out :tease::tease:

Paul

Wow is that close. Is there room in the allowable height for a margine of safety? I can't imagine cutting it that close and not scraping the top somewhere. A slight bumb in the pavement or a long wheel base unit that migh span the high sides of a low spot would use up that .02M in a hurry. Not to mention it is difficult to get an accurate reading on the load height particularly if the high spot is in the middle of the load...a good level and a helping hand would be useful...

Do they issue replacement underwear at the outlet of the tunnel? I'd be ducking the whole way through...

:notworthy:

Greg

• Like 1

Did you trip the over height detector at all ?

No Shane that would have been embarrassing!

So from all the pics you have posted it looks like the authorities work with you not agents you.

Nice pics.

mhe9 yes they do and having a load pilot helps a lot in tight areas which there are a lot of!

That's a rather low tunnel isn't it? Most fridge pans or tautliners here are around 4.3m high.

Anyway, you done good Timmy boy!

Thanks Timmy! I find tunnels and bridges here a challenge for sure and after the second earthquake a lot of bridges are no go zones.

NOooooo pressure!

Lots of room in one inch....

Jim thank goodness the road is flat and no bumps through the tunnel! I still crawl through the entrance look through the back window.

According to my Ozzie-American dictionary, "Lyttleton" means "little tunnel". It's interesting how a pro will physically measure the height of his load if needed, but a steering wheel holder dragging a 13' 6" van will interpret 11' 9" as "enter here".

Jim you and I and a lot of other folks on our site have come across a bridge or to and have done the right thing. Company's need educate their people more guess...

Wow is that close. Is there room in the allowable height for a margine of safety? I can't imagine cutting it that close and not scraping the top somewhere. A slight bumb in the pavement or a long wheel base unit that migh span the high sides of a low spot would use up that .02M in a hurry. Not to mention it is difficult to get an accurate reading on the load height particularly if the high spot is in the middle of the load...a good level and a helping hand would be useful...

Do they issue replacement underwear at the outlet of the tunnel? I'd be ducking the whole way through...

:notworthy:

Greg

Thanks Greg, I can hydraulically lower the trailer a few millimeters if needed but not good for ground clearance. I do make sure I measure the highest point on the machine. Good thing the cab folds over!

I think you can get a pair of depends at the counter of the tunnel house ;)