Mack granite's Mdrive 12 spd manual/auto trans vs allison auto 6 spd

What do you guys think of a Mdrive trans12 spd manual/auto vs Allison 6 spd auto?

I have mack granites dump trucks with Allison 6 spd auto and i love it and so do the drivers, the downfall is the fuel consumption. The Mdrive trans should be better on fuel consumption being a 12 spd but is also very new on Granite trucks so i would like to hear from anybody has experienced this new trans.

Edited by Aveiro
  • Like 1

I have both in my fleet, the allison is a lot nicer of a transmission around the city and gets you off the line a lot better because it goes threw all 6 gears but like you said does go threw fuel pretty fast. The mdrive is nice but is sluggish off the line compared to the Allison but that's only because the mdrive will start in a higher gear if the truck senses it doesn't have a lot of weight on but if you do have weight it will go threw most of the gears, but on the highway the mdrive is nicer and doesn't run at a high rpm like the Allison but my truck with the Allison does have real high rear end gears

If you do a lot of off road or paving/milling work stick with the Allison, the clutch engagement at slow speeds is the downfall to the m-drive for vocational use, you cant lose with a torque converter.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 9 months later...

Just purchased the Granite tri-axle with the Mdrive, MP7 and will give you feedback as we go. I did read something about if the motor shuts off and the truck is moving it does damage to trany? Wondering if this is tru in neutral being towed? This truck will cut its teeth in the paver running in neutral with pto engaged and bed going up and down. Any advice would be great. 

Rumor has it, is that ,Apparently if your towing  you need to have at least  90 psi  in the air system leave the key on and the trans in 3 gear Only rumor for me at this point!

Others may chime in with better insite on the subject ! However 

Stick with Alice  or standard if your Pebble packing or paving  The M drive lends it self well to only a Road Trany in my opinion!

Again MY opinion!

Edited by fjh

• 2 weeks later...

NEVER tow an M-Drive or I-Shift transmission without first completely removing the drive shaft - not even 2 feet. WE never do it - it will turn the insides of the transmission VERY ugly! If a wrecker company tows one into us we completely inspect to see the drive shaft has been removed before we accept the truck for repairs.

I have 10 new 2017 GU713 on order for a customer with the M-Drive HD - they will be triaxle dump trucks delivered in June 2016

New 13 and 14 speed versions with deep reduction "lo-holes" of this transmission are scheduled to be out later this summer in the MP8 series first.

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway