1947 ALF repair/maintenance info- where to find?

joemac

Hey Gang,

I had to give up on the '58 Mack C I was trying to acquire. It wasn't in the cards, I guess.

I recently bought a '47 American La France 700 Pumper from upstate NY in decent shape. It was re-powered in the '70s with a DD 6V-53 that starts right up and sounds healthy. A couple of experienced guys said it sounds really good. (Stay out of this, Yardo!)

I'm going to go through a routine maintenance on the engine and the rest of the rig is going to be gone through thoroughly.

The brakes are nonfunctional at the moment. The rear shoes appear to be hanging up when reversing. My immediate plan is to get the rear wheels off the ground, one at a time and start going through everything from there.

The problem I have is that I've been used to having a manual to work from with most things I've worked on.

I have the operator's manual in PDF form, but it's extremely limited in its scope, focusing mainly on the V-12 that isn't in this rig.

Does anyone know of a good repair/maintenance manual for these old rigs?

Failing that, any online sources of repair info?

Keep in mind that I know my way around tools, having spent the last 45 years or so fixing cars. I do know a wheel cylinder when I see one.

Thanks for any assistance.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Probably the best manual you can use is the one that came with your digital camera. Take pictures of everything as you disassemble them so you will have a reference to put them back correctly.

One of the joys of working on the older stuff is that it so simple compared to today's trucks. Use common sense, take your time, and just keep plugging away at it.

I would do all of the brakes given that you already have had a failure. Get all four wheels off of the ground, pull all of the wheels, and completely replace the brake system including new lines unless it is very obvious that they have already been done.

I hope you have joined one of the local SPAAMFAA chapters. If not join and go to the meetings to find fellow ALF owners who can help you out if you need it. It will be the best investment in your new truck you ever made.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks. I failed to mention that I have a copy of the factory DD 6V53 manual that I've been studying.

The operator's manual for the ALF is very limited, mostly addressing the V-12 that it originally had. It has precious little in regards to everything else.

I'm already a SPAAMFAA member and in touch with a handful of ALF owners. It seems we all go through the same frustration of not having printed info to use.

My intention all along has been to go through the entire rig, starting with the brake system. I'm hoping to install a tandem master cylinder in place of the single unit that was installed in 1947.

I'm hoping to install a tandem master cylinder in place of the single unit that was installed in 1947.

I have run across instructions on how to do that, but I think the hang up is the remote location of the booster. It seems to me the booster will only work on one side or the other, but not both.

Installing new lines, new wheel cylinders, and a new master cylinder will probably be all you will need. Since you are already aware of the issue you will be conscientious about keeping an eye on the system so it should be safe.

Did you see the discussion on here about removing the air from the tires before they are removed from the truck? A wheel blew up from rust and almost cost a member big time. Make sure you remove the valve cores before you take the wheels off of the truck.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Try these people they do over 700 dual master conversion kits including 40's and early 50's Ford and GM with under floor masters and also do a remote booster unit.

Your master cylinder fits more than your unit and they may have a dual conversion for it or be able to cross reference it over.

I used them for my Valkri dual master conversion, 1941 Chevy and my 1951 Ford. All were 99% bolt in. Call their tech line or the 1 800 number and give them your info.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...