Endt 673 C In A B61

notime1977

Will an ENDT 673 C fit in a B-model? I was looking at a 1968 R611 today, that had this engine a duplex and 4.25 ratio rear. The starter is in the same place as my B61 steering box. Any way to get around this? Thought I'd run the single axle R model with a 5yd dump box until I can get the B model further along(rewire, new airlines and paint/ body). Then change out the engines, as the R611 cab is rusty sagging and bent.

Put the flywheel housing from your B on the R engine.....but check oil pan to see if the starter will fit. I learned the hard way that a b-model pan has a slight taper so there is starter clearence. you may be able to swap pans also ???  John

Thanks John. BTW That is one beautiful B75, I heve never seen one that nice. Very Classy.

• 1 month later...

No Time

My 1960 B61T has a ENDT 673C in it. Fit looks good. However, not having done the fitting myself (was how I bought her), John's comments were very interesting. Will have to have a good look and see what I can work out!

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the process of doing what you are asking right now.... I bought a '78 R model with a 673 with Jake, turbo, and aftercooler, (they tell me it is a 300 plus) and am installing it in my '64 B-61 tandem.... I know the front mount is different, the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same, but I have to go from the 3/8" bolts to 7/16" which I have taken care of. We can talk on the phone if you want. In a few more weeks, I will have more info......I think I can leave the starter on the driver side, from my measurements, it looks like there is room...If someone knows this is not correct, please let me know........Thanks.

I am in the process of doing what you are asking right now.... I bought a '78 R model with a 673 with Jake, turbo, and aftercooler, (they tell me it is a 300 plus) and am installing it in my '64 B-61 tandem.... I know the front mount is different, the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same, but I have to go from the 3/8" bolts to 7/16" which I have taken care of. We can talk on the phone if you want. In a few more weeks, I will have more info......I think I can leave the starter on the driver side, from my measurements, it looks like there is room...If someone knows this is not correct, please let me know........Thanks.

Hi,

I think the starter will clear the steering box. I pulled the engine out of a firetruck with a 707 gas and the starter was by the steering box. The 707 has the large bellhousing and basic deminsions of a 711 diesel, but the starter is on top instead of on the bottom. It was a very tight fit but the starter fit.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a b61 with a 673 and the starter is on the driver side from the factory. I am in the process of installing a 676 285 and 5 speed in mine and although I have not got that far as yet by the measurements I have taken it should all fit with no major probelms. I know the blocks are all the basic same size.