E9 12v starter

Does anybody have the p/n for a 12volt starter for an E9, I would like to swap my 85 over to 100% 12 volt operation and get rid of the 24v starter and volt meter.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

84superdog

pic of the data plate... is this what you need?

11 teeth... used my squinty eye for that, hope I got it right

IF... you understand the data on the plate... is the info 92J04 mean that my starter is a 1992 unit???... if so, my 93 MH was built with 12v not 24v start.. cables all look original.... hmmm

reminds me... gotta hit up the museum for my build sheets, just keep putting it off..

BC Mack

post-10384-0-33110000-1431306095_thumb.j

There's a very good reason why Mack engineers specified 24-volt starting for E9 V-8 powered Mack Trucks. You want the "kick" of 24 volt starting (the preference worldwide), for turning over a 16-liter engine, particularly in cold conditions.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you change an E9-powered Mack truck's starting system over from 24 to 12 volts.

• Like 1

There's a very good reason why 24-volt starting was standard with E9 V-8 powered Mack Trucks. You want the "kick" of 24 volt starting (the preference worldwide), for turning over a 16 liter engine, particularly in cold conditions.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you change an E9-powered Mack truck's starting system over from 24 to 12 volts.

Hmm. Very interesting. I was going to do the same thing to mine

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

the cl series that i took my e-9 from was a factory 12 volt. if you still run the 4 batteries and put a 50 series starter on it shouldnt be a issue, now if you live in Buffalo N.Y. and dont have a block heater on your e-9 and your trying to get her started in january to plow snow during a noreaster, well 24v will be handy to have. above 40 degrees the e-9's ive been around dont crank long enough to talk about

ksc2..

I know you are right... but...

the more I look and think about it mine was most probably converted 24-12 and not factory12 but the proof of the conversion has to be in the reliabilty and with 4 type 31 950 batts with doubled up (0/2?) neg cable on starter and two block heaters it has held up very well over the years... I have discussed reliability issues with previous owner and with our temps only getting down to -10C I'm quite happy with the set-up.... it has been suggested that I drop two batteries but I'm not going to do that. I also have a 12v only alternator...

I can see only one issue and that is undersized cables going from 24-12... they need to be upgraded for 12v...

as I have all my wiring stripped right now with the clutch out I am going to hit the data books and make sure that was done correctly.. I assume the two neg cables on the starter are suitable, but will check.

BC Mack

• Like 1