I'm wondering if anyone has a fairly accurate estimate of what an empty B61LST would weigh? The tractor is a single frame, camelback tandem, aluminum tank, no front brakes. It's pretty light as far as a tractor goes, but I need to get a weight to find how heavy of a trailer I need to move it. The obvious solution would be to go to the scale, but that may prove to be difficult for me, given the truck's current condition. Thanks.

Not sure of the weight, but I attempted to move my B61 s/a without body on it, just the chassis & running gear with an IHC 4700 Rollback and it was way too much for the truck. This is what I used to move a S/A B Wrecker from NE Indiana to eastern Iowa.

T.

post-45-1215877483_thumb.jpg

post-45-1215877526_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone has a fairly accurate estimate of what an empty B61LST would weigh? The tractor is a single frame, camelback tandem, aluminum tank, no front brakes. It's pretty light as far as a tractor goes, but I need to get a weight to find how heavy of a trailer I need to move it. The obvious solution would be to go to the scale, but that may prove to be difficult for me, given the truck's current condition. Thanks.

Hi Squid, I've hauled my B61ST on a single tire, tandem axle 24 ft. trailer several times without problems. The gooseneck trailer I use has two 7000# axles under it. The tires are good and maintained properly so if you have the same equipment available, I wouldn't hesitate!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That trailer has singles, like Rob said, no problem, I ran along at 55-75mph all the way across Indiana and Illinois without an issue. If I ever buy a goosneck of my own, I will have duels under it, but that is just my preference.

T.

Squid,

I have a single axle dump truck with a Thermodyne that weighs 14,200#. These trucks are made heavy duty, and they are heavy, even if they are a "light" model with lots of aluminum. I would say you are safe assuming 12,000 to 14,000 pounds for a tandem tractor.

Scott

For info, my B61 bogey drive prime mover weighs 7tonne (~ 6.9ton or 15,400 lbs). Took it over a weighbridge to get accurate weight. Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Thanks for the input, guys. I may just load it and see what it looks like. My trailer is a 25' gooseneck with 2- 7000# axles, and a total GVW of 15,XXX, so I should be pretty close. The 12K mark was about what I was guessing, but I've been surprised by things like this before.

Well, I tried loading it today, and it physically fit on the trailer, but I couldnt load it backwards like I wanted to. As soon as the tandems started climbing the ramp, I lost traction. I was able to put it on forward, but that was WAY too much weight on the pickup, so I'll try backwards again here in a few days, this time with a little help from a machine. My goal is to put most of the weight over the trailer axles, and as much as i have to, but as little as possible on the truck.

Well, I tried loading it today, and it physically fit on the trailer, but I couldnt load it backwards like I wanted to. As soon as the tandems started climbing the ramp, I lost traction. I was able to put it on forward, but that was WAY too much weight on the pickup, so I'll try backwards again here in a few days, this time with a little help from a machine. My goal is to put most of the weight over the trailer axles, and as much as i have to, but as little as possible on the truck.

Be REAL careful doing that Squid. Ensure you have at least 80 psi in the trailer tires. I've seen many single tire tandem axle trailer tires broken loose from the rim at the bead during a sharp turn. This is of course due to overloading, and you are right at that limit. I've always carried mine engine forward, and about 60% of the weight on the pulling unit by backing the truck as far as possible on the trailer deck.

Good luck,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah, the trailer tires are up to 80, max. The way my ramps are configured, it makes it difficult to put anything too far back, but I might have to get creative in this case. I won't move it if I don't trust it, I can probably get a lowboy if I have to, but I'm trying to avoid that situation. I'll give it a shot backwards, and go from there.

Yeah, the trailer tires are up to 80, max. The way my ramps are configured, it makes it difficult to put anything too far back, but I might have to get creative in this case. I won't move it if I don't trust it, I can probably get a lowboy if I have to, but I'm trying to avoid that situation. I'll give it a shot backwards, and go from there.

I assume you have fold over ramps that lay on the dovetail? I don't care for those because of the limitations you mention. I've chained mine so the point straight out the back almost parallel to the ground to provided clearance. If you do something like that, don't rely solely on the clevis hooks of the chains for support. Bolt you chain links together so the don't come apart at an inopportune time.

Rob