Running hot

elabay

First post here. I've been reading for awhile soaking up information. Now I have a question. I drive a 2014 gu713 with a mp8 505. It started getting hot with any load behind it. Running empty it'll run 205 degrees give or take but put any load behind it and it'll get hot enough to shut down if I keep my foot in it. Its been in the shop since monday and they are at a loss. It runs great otherwise. Have you guys experienced this or have a place to start?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I would make sure there is good air flow through the radiator and the fan clutch is engaging. Most common fan clutch I see is the electronic viscous fan. There are two types of electronic fans: the Behr and Borg/Warner fan clutches. The Borg/Warner is the most common used in the past few years. To test the B/W fan simply unplug the fan wire harness connector, start the engine and within 30 seconds the fan should fully engage. If it doesn't then there is the problem. To test the Behr, diagnostic software is needed. To tell the difference between the two fans, the Behr is about 12" in diameter (give or take) while the B/W is about twice the diameter.

Another possible reason is the thermostat hanging in the closed position, I've seen that a few times here and there. By what you describe, though, it sounds like a fan clutch issue.

• Like 1

It only has 40000 miles on it. That shouldn't be enough miles for any problems. I'm going to call again in the morning and make sure they have checked those things. After reading the water pumo pressure comment, I remember a few times under acceleration I would hear a squealing sound. Now I wonder if it has something to do with the water pump or fan maybe locking up. Thanks guys. I will post updates.

It only has 40000 miles on it. That shouldn't be enough miles for any problems. I'm going to call again in the morning and make sure they have checked those things. After reading the water pumo pressure comment, I remember a few times under acceleration I would hear a squealing sound. Now I wonder if it has something to do with the water pump or fan maybe locking up. Thanks guys. I will post updates.

Age has nothing to do with it nowadays. There is a lot of technology in these trucks, sometimes I think a little too much. I think the manufacturers push the technology out too soon without proper real world R&D. For example, I've seen bunches of these fan clutches fail on fairly new chassis, Volvo and Mack.

• Like 1