Clutch Brakes

From what I've been told the 2 pc is the replacement version. Seems the one piece is the factory unit, and has to be chiseled/cut out to replace with two piece unit. This of course only if you don't want to have to pull the tranny.

If the tranny is out of truck, then you can put a 1 pc back in it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

From what I've been told the 2 pc is the replacement version. Seems the one piece is the factory unit, and has to be chiseled/cut out to replace with two piece unit. This of course only if you don't want to have to pull the tranny.

If the tranny is out of truck, then you can put a 1 pc back in it.

Even if the trans is out, I always put a 2 piece clutch brake in.

Makes it easier "next time" someone f***s one up.

• Like 1

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Even if the trans is out, I always put a 2 piece clutch brake in.

Makes it easier "next time" someone f***s one up.

Amen to that!

If you use this one http://shop.vendio.com/taurussupply/item/9...6/?s=1214821969

slather it in grease and set the clutchbrake right at the floor and it will serv you well!

there are others out there babcock and several others make them but if the engine dosnt run smooth the tabs break off in a short while you have nothing again.for best results use grease on those too!We had a real run on the heavy metal brakes last year so I tend to promote the eaton brake.

Just an observation!

Upon re reading your original post, I see that you've got a TRD77 trans.

I'm not sure if a clutch brake setup was ever available on the 77/770 series "baby" transmissions.

You may be SOL in that case. A clutch brake isn't something you can just "add" if there was originally no provision for one.

You probably have a push type clutch, so that would rule out the possibility of using an input shaft mounted clutch brake.

The old Mack type clutch brakes used with the push type double disc clutch on the 72/720 series transmissions was mounted at the front of the countershaft., never seen one on one of the smaller transmissions though.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Upon re reading your original post, I see that you've got a TRD77 trans.

I'm not sure if a clutch brake setup was ever available on the 77/770 series "baby" transmissions.

You may be SOL in that case. A clutch brake isn't something you can just "add" if there was originally no provision for one.

You probably have a push type clutch, so that would rule out the possibility of using an input shaft mounted clutch brake.

The old Mack type clutch brakes used with the push type double disc clutch on the 72/720 series transmissions was mounted at the front of the countershaft., never seen one on one of the smaller transmissions though.

He may look at the one fuller used on the older roadranger that went on the pto pad that contacted the pto gear.

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, as stated, if your trans wasn't originally designed for a clutch brake, that is there is no machined flat face on the front of the seal housing on the input shaft, you have to use a countershaft brake, which goes on the pto cover plate. Last time I installed one, the modified plate came in the kit. Then it's just a matter of mount a small button type valve on the gearstick and running the air lines.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a coment not a solution to the problem but i have seen many clutch brakes that have failed and i think ever one i saw was due to the pressure plate was not adjusted right meaning that the brake was trying to stop the gears from rolling before the clutch plates release. That can be caused from not enough clearance between the throw out brg and the trans. from misadjusting or it could be a srewed up clutch not going to release if adjusted right or wrong. I dont think you are going to tear up a brake if the clutch is releasing. So many guys try to stop the gears too soon and they have too much brake and now when you are coasting with the cltuch in the clutch brake is trying to stop the truck. No brake can last too long like that.

glenn akers