707A Air Intake x2 ?

firenut

I agree it is for cold weather operation to keep ice from forming in the carb. It must be optional equipment or newer than the '49 I am working on as mine does not have that arangement on it. It is otherwise identicle. Keep us posted on what you find.

Good luck

Greg

Are you going to remove the engine to work on it? If cleaning up and getting the truck looking good is one of the goals it would make detailing the engine and engine compartment much easier. It would also allow you to check the clutch and pressure plate.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks everyone.. That's makes sense... I am not planning on a complete removal... I have a stuck #5 Cylinder and have to remove the head for that... My plan is to remove the heads, check for/fix issues.. do what i have to to get her running, and re-do the brake system. After that (and after saving lots of money) the overall plan is to send to someone like Matt Pfal to completely re-paint/re-chrome the system.

Anyone have any idea how to remove the exhaust manifold? The exhaust pipe is one piece and I cannot get to the bolts to remove with the cowl... Looks like it will have to come off in one piece...

Thanks All

The best tip for removing the exhaust manifold is patience. The intake and exhaust manifolds are bolted together,so once unbolted it will all come out as one. The exhaust manifold is three pieces, but time and rust has probably fused it together. If it's not cracked I would leave the exhaust manifold together. If you separate the intake and exhaust manifolds, check the intake for any holes. The three I've had apart all had holes where the exhaust gases go up into the intake manifold heat "riser". Ratchet wrenches would be a big help with some of the harder bolts to get at........Good Luck

Loadstar is correct. All the nuts come off all the studs for intake and exhaust and it can all slide apart at once. My down pipe is welded to the last section of the exhaust manifold which was otherwise in good shape. I cut the exhaust pipe down onder the truck with a sawzall and pulled it all up and out. Reversed the process to put it back. I have the sawzall with the special reverse that puts the metal back in place...well not really. I put the mig welder to work and it's as good as new.

I would NOT try to separate the exhaust manifld sections unless you have to.

Greg