A/c In A B-61

I've considered a/c for a few years, and someday I'll get around to it. My plan was to mount it behind the cab, behind my generator box and put an electric fan on it. Or maybe behind the battery box, under the frame rail with a fan on it.

I've seen some of these sleeper a/c units with condensor mounted to rear of sleeper with fans on them.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

yeah that's thats the best way to do it. behind the cab maybe I could build it into the headache rack. The a/c lines would have to be awful long but maybe I could put he evaporator under the pass. bench seat. Who knows somthing to think about anyways

yeah that's thats the best way to do it. behind the cab maybe I could build it into the headache rack. The a/c lines would have to be awful long but maybe I could put he evaporator under the pass. bench seat. Who knows somthing to think about anyways
I put my unit under the pass. seat and the condensor on top of a box that i had made a camper out of. Too much hose i think but the B models is hard to cool because not much insulation and the doors dont fit tight and there is so much heat under the cab when you have a bigger horse engine but it helped enough that you could run with the windows up.

glenn akers

There is really no limit to the length of lineset that you could use. The limiting factor is cost most times. Whatever you use, ensure your suction line is at least an SAE#10 size, and the discharge is at least an SAE#6 size.

Another very important point is to not incline the condensor, or evaporator more than 20 degrees from the horizontal plane. If the incline is greater that this the coil tends to "pool" the refrigerant oil. This causes the compressor to "punch" the refrigerant and oil mixture through the coil causing high head pressure and a significant reduction in efficiency; Notably, a lack of cooling.

A gent that used to frequent here, (Dale Hamilton) mounted his condensor coil between the rear frame rails horizontally and you can imagine the problems he experienced. My understanding is that upon remounting the coil, the a/c worked well.

As far as the extended lineset to span the distance: I would probably use Type "K" refrigeration tubing for any length, and Aeroquip hose where flexibility is required such as connections to the rigid piping. Ensure that everything is securely mounted using "Adel" type clamps to virtually eliminate vibration and breakage. Don't get me wrong, you could use Aeroquip type hose complete but it is more costly up front. With copper, the suction line should be insulated to retain the cold, and the discharge should be left bare to eliminate as much heat of compression as possible before entering the evaporator.

My suggestion is to also use a receiver/dryer on the outlet of the condensor coil. I also prefer to use an accumulator on the outlet of the evaporator to prevent "slugging" the compressor with any unevaporated, or liquid refrigerant. The valves in the compressor will only take this action one time and they are history. The dryer will trap and hold any moisture that is possibly in the system, along with any metallic particulate matter that is induced from wear in the compressor. This will extend the life of the installed components. Whether you decide to use an orifice tube, or an expansion valve is a matter of personal choice and cost. I prefer a mechanical expansion device as it is adjustable for operator comfort where an orifice tube is simply that, a small hole that liquid refrigerant hits, is restricted, and expands as the refrigerant passes through. This action gets cold, or rapidly removes heat.

One final note: Consider incorporating a high-low switch in the discharge side lineset of the compressor. This will run the condensor cooling fan at a low speed until the high side, (or discharge side) is up over about 225 psi, it will then select the cooling fan run at about twice the speed until the high side pressure drops back to the low speed setting once again.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Very good information above from Rob.

You might contact Dale Hamilton of middle TN. Had a very sharp B61 that he added AC with a condensor tilted behind the cab with auxiliary fans. He also did a good job of insulating his cab and firewall.

He has sold the truck but may have some pictures of his installation. His email is drh6242@aol.com

David

we have the condensor on top of the cab, with two fans I think and a bit of a frame built for it to sit in.

The a/c unit is under the passenger seat and blows on to the driver.

It works fine,

The truck is off being repaired and hubby is not here to give more details. There may be a pic of it in my gallery/album.

It gets over 110 degrees out here, the a/c seems to cope fine