T310m problems

Mrclean196

Just got 05 granite tri axle for dirt work with T310MSR trans. Worked good for first 4 days. Monday went to work intending to service truck Monday nite. Well, going down road in 8th ( top gear) all of a sudden I got grinding sound and lost all high range gears. Limped 5 miles to Mack dealer in low range and discovered previous owner must have had leak and trans was almost out of oil. Filled it to go dump load but still no high range. Best guess before it comes apart is rear of trans but I'm hearing a LOT of bad news with this trans. My question is should we fix this one since clutch and lower gears work great now or just do the fuller 8 low low conversion and have a more reliable truck. It has 427 motor like rest of our trucks and 310,000 miles. Trans came apart at about 150,000 miles, making me question reliability. The clutch is relatively new. Reliability is very important for this job. Looking for advice on take the chance and fix or what's required to convert. I know trans, shifter, bellhousing. I'm guessing complete clutch too. How about driveshaft? Thanks in advance y

Had one in the 04 Granite I had, needed a rebuild of the reverse synchros when I got it due to others shifting to reverse before completely stopping. Mack fixed it under warranty and I never had another issue till i sold it, a friend had the same issue fixed under warranty and his went almost 600,000mi till he sold it with no other problems. They are great transmissions when they are used properly, just stop completely before going to reverse and split before you move the shifter and you'll be good. They have better gear steps than an 8LL and the multi speed reverse is awesome on a job site too.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I am thinking of swapping a T310m in place of my T2110B if it ever has any issues, but I have heard both good and bad about the T310m. Do the 3 series shift any better than the 2 series? I am still trying to find out if a 3 series like the T310m would be a direct bolt in, size, clutch, drive shaft etc. I'd really like a Eaton 18 speed but am scarred of the complexity of the swap...

I liked the t310m trans when it was working. It was nice having multiple reverse speeds on job sites. 84 Superdog, sweet ride! I miss my old Superdog. 350 mack with 9 speed keeping up with all the 425 kitty's in 1996. Truck going back together, looking forward to making some money now!

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking of swapping a T310m in place of my T2110B if it ever has any issues, but I have heard both good and bad about the T310m. Do the 3 series shift any better than the 2 series? I am still trying to find out if a 3 series like the T310m would be a direct bolt in, size, clutch, drive shaft etc. I'd really like a Eaton 18 speed but am scarred of the complexity of the swap...

I ran a 2110b in the RD behind a 460. Worst trans ever. Too high geared and the truck was a complete slug. My boss changed over to a T318 and the truck finally came to life.Also couldn't keep synchros in the 2110.

Rob

• 4 years later...

i have 08 granite, that when shifting from any low side gear it will just grind & stop . after flipping splitter it will usually go back into gear & will work beautifully till next time it does it. sometimes it just roars & makes grinding noise till it decides to work. it seems that it is splitter that is problem, can it be a dirty filter or just bad splitter.

1 hour ago, lyle said:

i have 08 granite, that when shifting from any low side gear it will just grind & stop . after flipping splitter it will usually go back into gear & will work beautifully till next time it does it. sometimes it just roars & makes grinding noise till it decides to work. it seems that it is splitter that is problem, can it be a dirty filter or just bad splitter.

Sounds like your going to be needing a synchro. Splitter flip may be limping the synchro along by momentarily removing the torque away from synchro so it can slide in.