Jevic Transportation Ceases Operations Effective 5-19-2008

1958 F.W.D.

A few weeks ago, Jevic announced they were closing 4 terminals: Cincy, Atlanta, Concord NC and New England. Today, word came out that the entire company was closing the doors. I worked for Jevic from 90 to 94, first as a freight thumper, then in the fuel dept. (scraping fuel decals & sticking new ones before the IFTA decal!) and finally in the Willingboro Fleep Maintenance Dept. My dad retired 3 years ago after 21 years. From the company website:

Category: General

Date: 01:27:43 PM, EDT, 05/19/08

Print

NJ Based Motor Carrier Discontinues Operations

Jevic Transportation Inc Cites Economic Conditions as Final Straw

Delanco, NJ…. Effective Monday May 19th 2008 Jevic Transportation, Inc, a less-than-truckload transportation services provider, is discontinuing operations. They are headquartered in Delanco, NJ.

Although the company will not be making pick-ups, a company spokesperson has said they are running a delivery operation until all freight “in our system is delivered”.

“We owe that to the many loyal customers who have been the backbone of Jevic over the last 27 years,” says Pete Robinson, director of marketing and corporate communications. “Our customers were what drove us and made Jevic the market innovator in freight transportation.”

Since going private two years ago, the company worked diligently to bring the company back to strong profitability.

In April, Jevic aggressively realigned the organization to improve costs and improve efficiencies. The realignment was going as planned and freight delivery costs were improving.

“Sadly, escalating fuel costs, higher insurance costs, a slowing economy and, ultimately a tightening of the credit market were to much for us to overcome, “ Robinson says. “It’s a sad day for everyone here in Delanco and around the country.”

With this action approximately 1,500 employees are no longer employed

The company was founded in 1981 and grew rapidly during the eighties and early 90’s. At one time it had facilities in Delanco NJ; Chicago IL; New England, New York NY; Charlotte NC; Atlanta GA; Houston TX; Cleveland and Cincinnati OH; and Los Angeles CA.

The company was know for its unique operating model which handled freight less than conventional carriers, lowering lost and damaged shipments dramatically, while still delivering to the entire 48 states. This “Breakbulk-Free” model, as it came to be known, was the platform for the myriad innovations, which solidified the carrier’s reputation for customer service.

Jevic was the first nation-wide LTL carrier to offer what has become a standard offering in the industry - time-definite and day definite services, branded “100% Guaranteed”, which provided expedited delivery. They also offered the Jevic “Heat Fleet”, the largest fleet of heated trailers in the United States, used to protect freezable freight en route to destination in cold winter months.

““We are certainly grateful for the emails and calls we are receiving from our customers wishing everyone well.” states Robinson. “Jevic” is more than trucks - it was the people, that’s for sure.”

Quick Fact Sheet

Incorporated May 18 1981 - Opens in Delran and Willingboro NJ

1989 - Chicago, IL Opened - Breakbulk-Free operation begins

1991 - Delran Operation moved to Delanco, NJ

1992 - Charlotte Opened

1993 - Atlanta Opened

1995 - New England Opens

Charlotte moves to larger facility

1997 - Houston

1999 - Cleveland and Cincinnati

1st nationwide carrier to use a satellite system for nationwide communication beginning in 1991.

Lowest Claims ratio @ 1/2 of 1% for over 25 years.

Employees – 1500+

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Very true Barry. Just hate to see another one go, makes you wonder who'll be next. Fuel prices the way they are makes me not even wan't a volkswagen diesel. All the owner operators and ompanies are taking a beating, but I just hope they can get some kind of break soon.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

A somewhat large trucking company in our area just parked all their trucks about a month ago. They didnt go out of bussiness just parked them till either fuel comes down or freight rates come up. They have over 100 trucks, at one time they had about 16 Macks in their fleet(2000 CX's) but go rid of them and bought more freightliners.

Wow Jevic went out another victim in the rising cost of fuel & this poor economic times

Makes ya wonder who next dont it ?

This raising prices of fuels has to STOP But where ? :angry:

It's not only tough on the everyday consumer but imagine how The Farmers , owner Ops , & the Small companys in Construction feels Lord all we are doing is making other nations rich while the Cost of everything goes UP Due to The U.S.A. Depending on Forigen (spell?) oil

Lord We need to come up w/ something & quick or IM afraid we may be starving like a 3rd world country afterwhile cause if Rates dont go up w/ the cost of Fuel Alot of folks wont have much of a choice but to park not only Trucks but Equipment as well

The Farmers & Owner Ops havbe a hard enough time in this Country let alone Adding more Fuel to the fire as to raising the damn cost of fuel everyday if the Farmers & Truck drivers quit in this country WE Will ALL BE SCREWED .

Cause w/o Farmers & truck drivers theres no clothes on your back or food on your table . ;)

sorry bout ranting yall but i had 2 vent

Just my 2 cents yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Wow Jevic went out another victim in the rising cost of fuel & this poor economic times

Makes ya wonder who next dont it ?

This raising prices of fuels has to STOP But where ? :angry:

It's not only tough on the everyday consumer but imagine how The Farmers , owner Ops , & the Small companys in Construction feels Lord all we are doing is making other nations rich while the Cost of everything goes UP Due to The U.S.A. Depending on Forigen (spell?) oil

Lord We need to come up w/ something & quick or IM afraid we may be starving like a 3rd world country afterwhile cause if Rates dont go up w/ the cost of Fuel Alot of folks wont have much of a choice but to park not only Trucks but Equipment as well

The Farmers & Owner Ops havbe a hard enough time in this Country let alone Adding more Fuel to the fire as to raising the damn cost of fuel everyday if the Farmers & Truck drivers quit in this country WE Will ALL BE SCREWED .

Cause w/o Farmers & truck drivers theres no clothes on your back or food on your table . ;)

sorry bout ranting yall but i had 2 vent

Just my 2 cents yall

:mack1:

very well said-I think it's time to stop screwing around and be drilling off the coast of Florida-we can't even drill for oil within 12 miles of shore,but the Chinese can drill 14 miles offshore?!! That's what they're doing right now,just off the coast of Cuba. We should be drilling in A.N.W.R. in Alaska too, and putting a nuclear power plant on every corner-like a 7-11 store, but Democrats and tree huggers won't let us-where IS this gonna end? They say "well,the offshore oil and A.N.W.R. oil wouldn't help now,that's 5 or 10 years down the road before we'd see any benefit from it any way". Well,I think we should've been drilling there 10 years ago then, and since we didn't, we should start tomorrow.

I guess if some foreign countries can't defeat us militarily they figure they can destroy the U.S. economy,and that seems to be what they're trying to do.

I paid $4.59 a gallon for fuel in Ohio yesterday,and saw it as high as $4.70-something in Pa! :angry:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.