2009 Chu612

We just got in my buddies new 2009 CHU 612 that he ordered back in january. It's pretty sharp, adding some chrome to it today. Its gonna be a handfull with that short wheelbase and MP-8 engine. He 's trading in his 2000 CH613 with 950000 miles on it, its never had the heads or oil pan off, orignal clutch, a/c compressor everything orignal except belts, brakes and 1 EUP. It's been the perfect truck. Hope this new one holds up as well. Wish I had a better camera, the 09 is pretty slick.

post-1740-1209820309_thumb.jpg

post-1740-1209820316_thumb.jpg

Nice looking MACK.

I wonder if I can SPEC some similar tractor with the MP-7 ENGINE with the lowest Horse Power (325 HP ???) to pull a 30 foot flat bed trailer. I want a truck that can be light weight and DEPENDABLE. I am just pulling a 30 foot (feet??) so I don't need a BIG TRUCK like a KW with sleper and a 600 hp ENGINE.

HOW CAN I SPEC MY TRUCK ?

You can download the spec sheets with the available options on the Mack web page. You can spec the lower power option if you wish, although I don't think the MP7 is available on the axle forward CHU. There's also several transmissions available, from 6 to 18 speeds as well as automatics.

You can download the spec sheets with the available options on the Mack web page. You can spec the lower power option if you wish, although I don't think the MP7 is available on the axle forward CHU. There's also several transmissions available, from 6 to 18 speeds as well as automatics.

You can get a Granite with a tractor set up too. Get bare bones etc. I know you can get an MP7 with a GU. A GU7 is an axle forward version, where a GU8 is an axle back version. Both can get the MP7

• 2 weeks later...

I hope your buddy isn't planning on using this truck to make a living. The Volvo MP8 engine seems so far to have

about a 4% reliability rating. In other words, 96% of the new Volvo MP8 engines have failed. I know this from experience

since I have wrenched at the same Mack dealer for nearly 2 decades. Our local DOT bought 20 new Volvo Granites

last fall and none of them pushed a snowflake this past winter cause all of them were sitting in our lot waiting for

new engines or camshafts. All of them failed with less than 1000 miles on them. So far, I haven't seen a single new

Volvo MP8 run past 6000 miles without a major failure.

I hope your buddy isn't planning on using this truck to make a living. The Volvo MP8 engine seems so far to have

about a 4% reliability rating. In other words, 96% of the new Volvo MP8 engines have failed. I know this from experience

since I have wrenched at the same Mack dealer for nearly 2 decades. Our local DOT bought 20 new Volvo Granites

last fall and none of them pushed a snowflake this past winter cause all of them were sitting in our lot waiting for

new engines or camshafts. All of them failed with less than 1000 miles on them. So far, I haven't seen a single new

....but you have to remember, Volvo is here to help make Mack better. :lol:

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

All the MP-8's around here are doing OK, we had 2 with injector cup failures and one with a broken rocker arm but other than that no problems. Most of the ones around here have 20,000-50,000 miles on them. The new download recall(PI663) is going to help with the injector cup failures. The owners love the better fuel mileage and the drivers love the power. All the MP-7's around here are doing good also.

I understood that while the engines are similar on design for both companies MACK and VOLVO, they are not the same in other aspects of design. Maybe MP7s work better becuse MACK fixed them and VOLVO D11 are such a nightmare, because VOLVO, well it just SUCKS!!!!!!

We haven't really seen any major problems with the MP7's so far at our dealership. They seem to be holding up pretty well. It is the MP8's that seem to be coming apart in large numbers. We also had several of the Volvo D13's towed in this week with piston failures, and as you guys probably know, the MP8 and the D13 are identical except for the color and the module software and data files. We also haven't seen too many of the D16's yet with any major failures, but they are still kinda new out , so it might be too soon to tell, but if the 16's continue to hold up well, than it might be that the new MP10's will be a good engine also. These are just my opinions from a dealership mechanics point of view. Those of you that own or drive them might have a different opinion of them than I do. I just fix them, I don't own or drive them.