Chrome Radiator Shell

• 5 months later...
Why do some b model mack trucks have chrome radiator shells and some don't? was it a option at the factory or a aftermarket thing

You could have the truck built any way you wanted if your pockets were deep enough.

Chrome radiator shells are available new, (or were) through Barry at the B model store. I've have my own replated and it isn't inexpensive.

It is strictly a user preference.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You could have the truck built any way you wanted if your pockets were deep enough.

Chrome radiator shells are available new, (or were) through Barry at the B model store. I've have my own replated and it isn't inexpensive.

It is strictly a user preference.

Rob

I may be wrong but i dont remember seeing them from the factory chrome. They may have been i just did not remember. I worked for make the last two years that the B models were in productions but did miss alot of things.

glenn akers

I may be wrong but i dont remember seeing them from the factory chrome. They may have been i just did not remember. I worked for make the last two years that the B models were in productions but did miss alot of things.

My grandpa had two new B models in the 60's that were prototypes for the "Maxidyne" series of engine with five speed transmissions. They were both chrome grille shells, with gold bulldogs on the hood sides, and grille shells. This could have been an oddity as a "one off" situation too. The fire station on Lemay Ferry Road, just off of Reavis Barracks Road, (St. Louis, MO) had a B series with a chrome shell also that was installed on the truck when supplied new. I have two cousins that were stationed there when the truck arrived new, and they used that pumper a lot. I remember it well as I was a teenager when it was retired, (ten year rule).

Admittedly, the trucks that I know of that were factory supplied with a chrome grille shell were either fire apparatus, or those two test beds.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I had bought a old fire truck chassis and contacted mack for a build sheet. It had a factory installed chrome grille shell. I think that the firetrucks all had chrome shells and that trucks would be retrofit with the firetruck parts. I have had many friends that bought these trucks new and the first thing that would happen is the muffler was replaced with a chrome stack and the grille was replaced. But I believe that mack would build anything you could imangine and also Mack made most of their truck to order for their customers, so if you wanted chrome and know what part number to get then so be it.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

• 4 weeks later...