New turbo, new aftercooler, pump turned up equals FUN

dds92780

I havent really had a chance to check out fuel economy yet. The next day i worked i averaged 5.9 on some tough chicago highway runs. Then the next two days i averaged 4.8-4.9 on some tough hill runs where i would literally leave the pit, make a hard right and climb a hill up to 30 by a stoplight and then more hills 13 times. I think the fuel economy is better than it was before because with the hard driving i was doing last year i would get maybe 4.5 mpg. On the same hill against another RD loaded, i passed him up and he was looking at me like wtf and by the end of hill i had 2 full truck lengths on him lol. There was a vision 460 that used to kill me that i am just a tad quicker now than too. I am shocked that i am run with a 460 now . I just hope the engine is reliable and wont blow up. My pump guy says it should be fine. I have iron pistons and all that.

I mean some people go to a bigger turbo and injectors to make a 427 out of a stock 350 so what i did to achieve my power cant be too bad. I went from 27psi to 33. Keep all the questions and comments coming or if you have a turned up 350 i want to hear from you as well. Ill try to baby it more today and see what i can achieve. We will see if i can RESIST :)

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Well, so far it seems my fuel economy has dropped but not alot. maybe .25-.4mpg less. I am trying to just take the rpm up to 16 now to see what difference it makes. I might have the pump turned down .25 of a turn or .5 of a turn. I'm not sure yet. I am able to pass loaded RD 350s now its nothing tho lol

Call Antrim diesel and get some good injectors and it'll go even harder.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Call Antrim diesel and get some good injectors and it'll go even harder

I'm not sure the trans can really handle more than it does already. The turbo is already kinda maxed out. The turbo for this truck is designed to go from 24-32 psi. I get to 32-33 and it doesnt really go higher than that. The upside to the way its setup now is that i get 30 psi by 1600 rpm now, and even 23 at only 1250rpm. 427s are no problem. I even had a well known guy with a turned up 427-460 with 442 rears shaking his head and trying really hard to keep up up. We started at a stoplight and then went up a ramp, the lanes were merging, but he wasnt about to lose to a wimpy 350 lol. So he stays in the right turn lane only and after about 60ish, he finally starts getting ahead, i let off, his truck looked like a steam engine in between shifts trying to do that, im still laughing about it. 475 hp cats are similar to the way my truck pulls now. 425 cat i walk from. This truck is a blast now. I just take off in 1st gently to 14, then 2nd to 16 with a lil more throttle, then 3rd with a lil more to 16 then 4th gear and its cya LOL. Point is, i feel that i am being careful with the trans. SUPERDOG, if i got those injectors, wouldnt i be using even more fuel? The pistons are two piece with an aluminum skirt, so i got a pretty good setup here :)

I have a 1450# trans, got Antrim injectors, Antrim turbo, 20% over pump, governor wide open.......I get 6.5-6.8mpg.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 2 weeks later...

Run it around 15-20 during normal driving, try to keep it under 25 but if I need it it'll go to 38 pretty fast. It will pull 91700 up a long hill without slowing down at 25-26# of boost so I don't push it.

So i got the injectors installed today :) I used to get 30 pounds of boost by 1500 on 1% bio on a 80 degree day. I have only driven it empty but i can already tell its way quicker. The needle just flies up on boost now. I easily get 33 pounds of boost empty now which i have never done before. I have seen 33 pounds of boost on a 60 degree day in the morning pulling a load around 1600-1700 rpm but thats it. I can't imagine how good its going to do when its loaded. That is all for now :)

• Like 1

Just drive it easy and let the truck do the work and youll probably get better fuel mileage because the engine will make so much more power it wont have to work as hard anymore. Im sure youll be amazed what those Antrim injectors will do to wake it up, just go easy on the Cat crowd you know they get hurt feelings when dogs make fun of em on hills (sure is fun though).

• Like 1

Ok so two days now doing some 75000 gross runs putting on 360 miles then running back empty. I am shocked that the first day i only got 5.66mpg. So today i made sure that i was only going to go 55mph tops. build boost with quarter throttle at 25psi by 1100 or so, i would shift at 1500-1600. I am capable now of getting 30 pounds of boost by 1300. I would NEVER floor it even once all day long (took a ton of will power) The pyrometer never even went over 800. It was at 700 most of the day which i think is real good. I get home and excited to finally see what kind of mpg i got. 5.35. WTF??? Did i baby it TOO much? Doesnt the pyro being low indicate i had plenty of power and wasnt wasting fuel? Boost builds quick when i want it. Truck runs great. Im just not sure how to get the mpg to improve. I though with bigger injectors and turned up pump that i could get better mpg than stock because i wouldnt be wasting fuel trying to build up boost. I dont know anymore. I'm confused. Bigger turbo maybe???