E7 or EM7?

winger

E7 or EM7, what's the difference, or is there any? I'm looking at a few. 2001 with an em7 w/275hp a 2000 e7 w/350hp and some 1994's w/300 hp. And how easy is it to bump up the hp on these engines?

The EM7 is a low rpm "Maxidyne" engine..Depending on the engine,pump,injectors,turbo,computer reprogramming can bump hp.Just takes $$$$$$.

What do you mean when you say "low rpm"? Do these engines not rev to 2100? Will I have an issue with an em7 running down the highway at 60-70mph?

E7-250 = 1950 rpm, E7-300 = 1700 and 1900, E7-350 & E7-400 = 1800

EM7s were rated at 1750 rpm

Based on my engine experience, I would suspect more than a governor change. I agree with Superdog....lots of parts to change.

My MH is an EM7-300 with T2050 transmission and 5.02 ratio. I can run all day at 65-70 mph (GCW is 65,000#).

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

What do you mean when you say "low rpm"? Do these engines not rev to 2100? Will I have an issue with an em7 running down the highway at 60-70mph?

Highway speed is based on engine speed, transmission final ratio, rear axle ratio, and tire size. I think the important question is...what is the gross weight? That will determine your horsepower requirement. Either of these engines (E7 or EM7), if geared correctly, is capable of running 70 mph.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

My gross weight on the drill rig is 66,000 lbs. Speed limits on our highways around here are 90kmh (55mph) but I would like to stay at 100kmh (62 mph). The only real requirement for the HP is the many hills around. The current engine/tranny set up is a Cummins v903 W/13 over, so its running about 265hp and under 900 lb/ft of torque. Does fine on the flat and slight grades at 55mph but you need to tape up the headlights so it can't see the bigger hills coming. This is actually better than the cat 3208 N/A that was in it before tho.