A Learning Experience:

Rob

Had a little "fun" last evening. I was moving trucks around the shop for the "spring cleaning". After installing my eight newly rebuilt injectors into the R-795's V8 engine, and installing the fuel lines, I started the truck after a little cranking and it runs much better now. Allowing it to idle, I then started the A-40, my skid steer loader to warm up, and one of my B models to allow the air to come up. I then pulled it outside via the back door to the shop and drove to the front door, and leaving it at an idle, jumped out, moved the A-40, parking it outside in the lot. I then moved the skid steer to drag two other trucks, (inoperable) to other areas of the shop to clean.

While climbing out of the skid steer to chain to a truck I shut the engine down, (Cummins) and it was library quiet in the shop; What I mean here is there was no sound from the V8 Mack engine that I left running. My first thought was "ahh shit" I done run out of fuel. A quick look into both tanks confirmed my suspicion as they were both near dry. So I calls the fuel distributor that I use and he, (while I'm looking at a customer's car) dumps 50 gallons into the left side tank. Well the fuel pickup tube and return line is in the right side tank. While this itself is no problem due to the equalizing tube at the lower front of each tank, the valve leaks terrible on the left side when open! At today's diesel prices that is important to aleviate quickly. A quick gust of air line pressure and a shop towel quickly forced the fuel to the rt. side tank. I then had a helper shut the valve(s) back off. I will now get packing kits to repair the valves.

Most diesels if run out of fuel and not tried to be restarted will crank for a little while and fire back off missing until the air in the lines is purged. NOT THIS ONE!! When it would not restart, I removed the filters, filled them full, reinstalled, and cranked over a series of half a dozen times till the batteries were down. I had removed the filters again only to find them full to the top. I then took the supply line loose from the gallery at the pump and cranked engine and after awhile, it started flowing fuel. After reconnecting this hose, and breaking all of the lines loose at the delivery valves on the pump, it still would not flow any fuel! Now I'm getting pissed as over two hours have been expended trying to get this SOB running again, and we are starting to lose daylight.

At this point, (breathing fire) I tightened all the fuel lines back up, and had a helper put 60 psi into the rt. side fuel tank while I cranked the engine. It started without rolling over five time, and run rough for about 15 seconds and smoothed right out. I suppose the transfer pump is getting weak to pick up fuel from the tank and I plan to purchase a kit to fix that.

The engine does not have a hand primer on the transfer, or lift pump. I've run a lot of diesels out of fuel through the years, and got many running that have set derilect for lenghty timeframes, but never had so much trouble as this one presented!

That air pressure to the fuel tank trick worked pretty slick and I will commit that one to memory for future use!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

:SMOKIE-RT: Did the new injectors help your smoking problem you were having a while back ?

I can't answer that as of yet. I had just got it running when the ordeal started. I will try to drive the truck over the weekend. It no longer smokes at idle though.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Just another day at the shop Rob? LOL!!

Glad to hear you got it running again....though with a loss of nerves with it.

Got to love those primer pumps. I ran mine out in the street ONCE, lucky it's a neighborhood and not much traffic at midnight. Open the hood, pump a while, cranked it up. WHew!

Note to self, don't let tank get below 1/4 and sit on downhill run. She will run dry!!

How's the speedo stuff going?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Just another day at the shop Rob? LOL!!

Glad to hear you got it running again....though with a loss of nerves with it.

Got to love those primer pumps. I ran mine out in the street ONCE, lucky it's a neighborhood and not much traffic at midnight. Open the hood, pump a while, cranked it up. WHew!

Note to self, don't let tank get below 1/4 and sit on downhill run. She will run dry!!

How's the speedo stuff going?

There should be a box of parts coming your way on Monday, or Tuesday. Been real busy and haven't had time to devote to the project for a few days.

After 23 years of rotating shifts, I am starting a regular 7-3:30, (with emergency callback) 5 day workweek on Monday!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
:SMOKIE-RT: Did the new injectors help your smoking problem you were having a while back ?

I meant to update this site with an answer to your question but another "situation" came up at the shop and I neglected to do so.

Old post Yesterday at 08:08 AM Reply #1

I installed eight newly rebuilt injectors into my R model a few days ago and last evening was the first time to drive it. The engine temp was right about 170 degrees or so, and the idle temp on the pyro was about 350.

I decided to take the truck down the road, (minus the hood), and did full throttle acceleration from dead stop to about 78-80 miles per hour against the governor. The pyro never climbed above 950 and I'm wondering if this is normal, high, or low on the gauge? I did this on the return trip also and the engine runs so much smoother at idle it is almost a different engine. The smoke at idle is completely gone, but is definately still there while accelerating.

I'm not really concerned about mileage as this is a "play truck" anyways, and the engine will be replaced with my Detroit in the future. I can't seem to let a known problem or issue lie unaddressed.

Thanks,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I have went through this ordeal on my 800 a few times. It ALWAYS has to have the filters removed. I finally bought a hand primer for it. I thought it normal that they wouldnt pick the fuel up. I will file this one away also..interesting. Mine will not pick up fuel either if it runs out..... I love this place! Been around Macks all my life and still learn stuff every day..