U Model Mack ?

U models are very similar to DM (dump and mixer) chassis. They are generally just a lighter chassis. The door tag numbers will tell a lot about the model (ex. U685S) Even though usually lighter chassis they can be spec'ed quite heavy. I have a U609T that was factory equipped with a 29,000 lb single axle rear.

Chuck

What was the reason of the offset cab, and from when to when were these made?

Thanks, Ben

(just tryin to learn everything I can)

The offset cab allowed you to stick your head out the window and look strait down the body/trailer. Makes for good visibility and also lets you see a little more on the right side as well.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Thad is right the visability was a "selling point" other opinions vary on this. Another reason is the engine sits back into the cab so the offset moves you away from it. With the engine moved back it shortens the hood for visability and manuverability. Not a bad truck to drive. A single axle with a 28' pup trailer and you can get into places a straight truck can't. Years ago that's the combo I took my driver test with. A company I worked for had a drive that peddaled freight in Boston and he refused to use anything else. One day they sent hin a brand new IH wit A/C and all the comforts. He told then he wanted his old U model back or he would quit. It seems the old Mack got around the city better and in and out of tunnels so they did send him his truck back.

Chuck

U models are very similar to DM (dump and mixer) chassis. They are generally just a lighter chassis. The door tag numbers will tell a lot about the model (ex. U685S) Even though usually lighter chassis they can be spec'ed quite heavy. I have a U609T that was factory equipped with a 29,000 lb single axle rear.

Chuck

What was the truck with the 29k rear end originaly, a dump ?

What was the truck with the 29k rear end originaly, a dump ?

According to the original delivery info it was sold as a truck tractor to a leasing company in Mass. The original line sheet is hard to read (bad microfilm) so I can't tell what it had for fifth wheel. Right now it has a hydraulic fifth wheel and spent a lot of time as a yard horse. There are a couple pictures of it in my gallery.

Chuck