t310mlr

casspace

I have a 2005 Granite with the t310mlr trans. When I first got it the synchronizers from low to high went out. Then the high to low went out. Then trans cooler started dumping anitfreeze in trans. Trans grinding again. Changed fluid and put synthetic in and it helped, but got progressively worse. Now it wont even pull on the high side. Everyone has told me to not let drivers preselect ranges. That they should put in neutral then change range. It says on sticker in cab to pre select. Some say it is caused from shifting from forward to reverse with truck still moving. Salesman says that is case. He says everytime they have corporate meeting people are complaining about this trans. 5500 for reman trans or 4200 to fix. Im sick of this transmission. ive been looking at a swap. I have found eaton 10c and 8ll. Was told if I put 10c in I would kill resale value. I dont know what to do. Any ideas. Thanks

Dump that Mack tranny. I have had to pull out my T2180 out twice in the last 4 years for the same range syncro issues.

I love Mack and most of its products, but that transmission in high shifting usage seems to show its design is lacking. That transmission seems to last longer in highway applications where its in the same gear for most of the day.

When you start putting it in heavy shift cycle usage the smaller heavily used components like the range syncros don't hold up.

I had little or no issues with that trans till it started doing regional work.

The gears and the rest of that gearbox hold up well hauling 120,000 gross. I wish they could have improved the range side of the Mack gearboxes.

Most of the guys here swear by the Mack gearbox. Some are to proud to admit it could have been designed better with repair and replacement costs taken into consideration. The Transmission rebuilders up here don't even want a Mack trans for a core......they do more change overs to Fuller and none from Fuller to Mack.

My Fuller's which is all I order in my newer trucks have there issues too. But nowhere near as costly to repair or replace.

I can buy 10c new not rebuilt for 3000 just got to get a bell housing and mounts. My truck is triaxle dump and lots of backing and low gear work. Salesman says I will kill value with 10c instead of 8ll but I will get killed on core charge because no fuller core. Thanks for your response.

• Like 1

The most important value of all is how much revenue that truck will bring in for you day in and day out.

Resale is only important when you want to get rid of it because you cant keep a transmission working in it.!!!!!

Don't feel bad. Do what you need to do to keep rolling.

• Like 1

thank you sir. I have an 07 ch with 10c pulling dump trailer and it does fine. I like it. I have International 7400 with 8ll and its great. Truck is junk. International not what used to be. Cant keep ac working and was glad when came so no worry about ac. Now cant get heat to blow hot. Older 4900 mechanicals were great. New stuff is getting bad. Cass

The 310m and MLR are great transmissions if used properly, I had the 310m in my 04 granite and loved it after I got used to it. I had to have the synchros done in it too, it was still under warranty so that was good. I got it and it was starting the grind between ranges and reverse, talked to the previous driver and he had been beating on it and selecting reverse in neutral before the truck stopped. I never had an issue again remembering to stop completely before pre selecting fwd or reverse and always pre selected range shifts. I think these transmissions get a bad rap from drivers that do exactly what they are not supposed to do then they call it a crap tranny.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

As a die hard Mack guy and only having 1 Mack Transmission left in my fleet, I feel disappointed by Mack in the transmission category.

Sure we can blame it on rookie drivers but from a cost perspective alone, I have had better luck with Fuller. Same drivers with both trannies in regional and city use.

Putting a Mack and Fuller up against each other on the range syncro set up alone, The Fuller is cheaper and easier to repair. The gears and bearings seem to have the same lifespan when comparing Mack to Fuller for us.

I really do wish Mack put some more effort into making the T200/T300 series of transmissions more serviceable. Mack trannies are a very robust transmission, but were poorly designed for heavy wear and tear on some of the most heavily used components when it comes to regional work. When operating a fleet its hard to stay on top of how drivers are treating the Mack trannies when selecting ranges at proper times etc. ( They were shown) But when the same drivers have no range issues with Fullers you have to start to admit the Fuller seems to take a better beating in that category.

I had less issues with My 12 speeds then the T2180's. Bums me out to have to speak negatively about them.

Why hasn't Mack made a better and more reliable range syncro set up?

The Eaton is definitely more forgiving, you can beat the crap out of them and they slop artound and keep going but when you apply a serious load they break before a Mack trans. I dont mind either, I have an Eaton in the truck I have now but given my choice knowing I am the only driver I would go Mack, being a company truck, eaton or allison every time.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

As a die hard Mack guy and only having 1 Mack Transmission left in my fleet, I feel disappointed by Mack in the transmission category.

Sure we can blame it on rookie drivers but from a cost perspective alone, I have had better luck with Fuller. Same drivers with both trannies in regional and city use.

Putting a Mack and Fuller up against each other on the range syncro set up alone, The Fuller is cheaper and easier to repair. The gears and bearings seem to have the same lifespan when comparing Mack to Fuller for us.

I really do wish Mack put some more effort into making the T200/T300 series of transmissions more serviceable. Mack trannies are a very robust transmission, but were poorly designed for heavy wear and tear on some of the most heavily used components when it comes to regional work. When operating a fleet its hard to stay on top of how drivers are treating the Mack trannies when selecting ranges at proper times etc. ( They were shown) But when the same drivers have no range issues with Fullers you have to start to admit the Fuller seems to take a better beating in that category.

I had less issues with My 12 speeds then the T2180's. Bums me out to have to speak negatively about them.

Why hasn't Mack made a better and more reliable range syncro set up?

You bring up excellent points that are all true. Why Mack haddent made an indestructable transmission by the time the 300 series came out is beyond me. They should have got it right with the 200 series. I personally would take a Mack trans over a Fuller . When putting a "driver" behind the wheel with a range shifted trans the Fuller wins.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The PRE-SELECT issue is a poor excuse for a crappy range component design in Mack transmissions. Eaton-Fuller has the same instructions for selecting a range before shifting and has WAY less issues for the same usage regardless of driver error or type of work the truck does. When either make of transmission range fails, the Mack trans is twice the cost in parts and labour to repair the same problem. There comes a time where we have to put our love for the Mack name aside (only briefly!) and admit to Macks failure when comparing transmission reliability and serviceability.