Increased Oil Capacity On B67

So the other day I notice I have 4000 miles on the B67 (with ENDT 673) since I restored it and put it back on the road- time for an oil change. The owner's manual (the original BTW) says crank case holds 15 quarts of oil. So i drain the crank case (yup, it needed an oil change), replaced the filters and started pouring in oil. 4 gallons dosn't even register on the dip. 5 gallons, still not wet. 6 gallons nadda- it took 26 quarts of oil to bring it up to the full mark. So, whats the explanation- well, I scrapped the original lubrafiner and added two maxi- spin-on cartridges, then I added an oil cooler with associated 1 1/2" hoses. I can say that my oil temp never gets beyond 140 degrees and water temp never goes over 155 degrees- and I've run it on some 100 degree days down here. So, the cooler must be working- works too well in the winter- hard to get much heat. Well I guess its a good thing.

Thats almost 3 extra gallons! I know they aren't counting the filter capacity in the manual, plus your probally holds more with the spin ons and the extra cooler will hold some...I'd say it sounds about right. Maybe some of the others here will chime in with there fill capacities...

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

im in the same boat but going the other way LOL

I just added oil to my END711 and after about 5 gallons and the dip stic says I have a little to much????. I filled the lube finder with about a gallon but have not cranked over the engine to "prime" the system. so hopefully I get it back down to the correct level

Well first Dale it needs to run 170-180 water temp to boil off any contaminits in the oil and 160 oil won't hurt either for the same reason. Also combustion and fuel ecomey will be better at 180. You are not doing a diesel any favors running it too cool.

Trent : If you are running a 750 Luberfiner you will find it holds near 3 gallons of oil by it's self. I'm running 2 750s in paralel for extra cooling here in AZ as KW put the one in the battery box out of the air flow.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

Im not shure what model it is but it looks like all the other filters that the B models have... I only filled the lube finder with a gallon because the dip stick was reading high and my hopes are when I prime the engine all the oil lines and channels will fill nd bring the oil level to normal...

Am

I correct in thinking that the lube finder is full of oil when the engine is running.?? Will the oil seap back into the crank case when you turn it off??reason I ask is that I see a little bleed nut on the bottom to drain it. im assuming this is for draining the housing for filter changes.??

Trent

Trent: Mack used a fullflow filter on some Bs the looked Kinda like a Luberfiner. The Mack filter had the clamp band towards the middle of the housing. If it is under the hood with -16 lines on it thats probabley what it is. The luberfiners had -6 & -8 lines on them normally and the clamp was about 1/4 the way from the end. But in either case the filters shoud stay full of oil.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

Im not shure what model it is but it looks like all the other filters that the B models have... I only filled the lube finder with a gallon because the dip stick was reading high and my hopes are when I prime the engine all the oil lines and channels will fill nd bring the oil level to normal...

Am

I correct in thinking that the lube finder is full of oil when the engine is running.?? Will the oil seap back into the crank case when you turn it off??reason I ask is that I see a little bleed nut on the bottom to drain it. im assuming this is for draining the housing for filter changes.??

Trent

Trent, dont forget to bleed the air out of the luberfiner when you prime it! just back off the top plug a few threads and wiggle it around to let the air out as the engine is running. just dont back the threads out too much, as cause when the air is all gone the oil will pressure up real fast and blow the plug too parts unknown LOL, I did that on a KW one time when I worked in the truck shop at CTI, made a pretty good mess, tried to hold my finger on the hole, but couldnt reach the shut off switch, had to let go sprayed oil every where!! Doug

Well first Dale it needs to run 170-180 water temp to boil off any contaminits in the oil and 160 oil won't hurt either for the same reason. Also combustion and fuel ecomey will be better at 180. You are not doing a diesel any favors running it too cool.

Trent : If you are running a 750 Luberfiner you will find it holds near 3 gallons of oil by it's self. I'm running 2 750s in paralel for extra cooling here in AZ as KW put the one in the battery box out of the air flow.

John, I moved the luberfiner on my KW out of the battery box to the side of the cab, then I mounted a fuel filter,heater, water seperator where the old luberfiner was worked out real good, Doug

I put 6 gal in my 673 and with the homemade dip stick I assume it's alright. I put a couple gals in filter, then I put 3 in pan. I checked stick and it was a full mark. I then put rest in pan. This then assumes that 3 filter/3 pan is full.

It usually drains some of filter back and reads overfull when it sits all week. I think this is the reason for the 10-15 sec wait for pressure when I first start it. If I check it shortly after shutdown, it reads full on stick.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"