Model B Radiator Fins

Could be several reasons the shutters don't close. 1) Perhaps they are not designed to close such as a gas engine model. 2) The air may be shut off. On the passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment there is a filter/oiler unit for the shutters. It may look like a carburetor bowl. There is a shut off valve there on the flexible line. 3)The shutter stat may not be working. Follow line from filter/oiler to the shutter stat on the water manifold. 4) Bad air cyl or frozen linkage follow line from shutter stat to air cyl. Check for leaks or binding. Thats about all there is to the shutter system. The shutters should close after start up once you build air press and only open when needed for cooling.

Chuck

there is air comin through the hose but the fins still donot close how much air does it take to close them because i have a good stream of air but i can

hold it back with my finger

My 64 B-61 snaps shut at 60psi on the air gauge without hesitation. Your hinges may need lubed also. Each shutter has a pivot point top and bottom that could bind.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The shutterstat is in the water manfold and it knows all.
Duh! why did'nt I think of that. I have what was a B-68X that someone converted to a 673- left what I assume is original radiator in that did not have shutters. I just bought a 61 (for the cab and the 673 quad box) and the shutters and the shutterstat assembly looks good. Common sense would have told me that if I looked at it long enough.

I also salvaged the radiator shutters and shell off of a junkyard B-42 -just before the shears got to it. and I have that complete assembly. Is the shutterstat rebuildable to any degree?

Any info would be appreciated.

Bob

Duh! why did'nt I think of that. I have what was a B-68X that someone converted to a 673- left what I assume is original radiator in that did not have shutters. I just bought a 61 (for the cab and the 673 quad box) and the shutters and the shutterstat assembly looks good. Common sense would have told me that if I looked at it long enough.

I also salvaged the radiator shutters and shell off of a junkyard B-42 -just before the shears got to it. and I have that complete assembly. Is the shutterstat rebuildable to any degree?

Any info would be appreciated.

Bob

You can exchange the shutterstat but i dont know if mack still cares them but most heavy duty parts store can order but call mack and they can tell you. glenn

glenn akers