First Ram 1500 EcoDiesels expected at dealerships in February

kscarbel

Automotive News / January 7, 2014

DETROIT -- Chrysler Group is scheduled to start building its first salable 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel pickups this month, several months later than originally expected.

The automaker plans to begin producing about 1,000 pre-spec versions -- or units not based on dealer orders -- powered by the 3.0-liter diesels sourced from Fiat-owned VM Motori on Jan. 21, said a person familiar with the plans. Those pickups are to be distributed to dealers in February.

Dealers are expected to begin taking customer orders for the EcoDiesel-powered pickups next month. Chrysler has said that the EcoDiesel-powered Ram 1500 would enter full production in the first quarter.

Last year, Ram officials initially said that the diesel-powered light-duty pickup would be on sale in the third quarter of 2013.

Also last year, Ram brand head Reid Bigland said that when the EcoDiesel trucks went on sale, they would account for as many as one-third of the brand's annual light-duty pickup sales. The diesel engine, combined with the eight-speed automatic transmission, produces 240 hp and 420 pounds-feet of torque, and is expected to achieve a highway fuel economy rating of around 28 mpg.

Pricing for the EcoDiesel will cost $2,850 more than a comparably equipped Ram pickup with a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8.

I just hpoe it's all good?? It just seems like every time we get one of these Euro. diesels it never works out for us! Didn't Penski look into buying them years ago?? I seem to remember the Detroit guys talkin about this co at a Detroit factory tour back in the 90's

BULLHUSK

PS a big Mopar fan so I do hope Fix It Again Tony knows what they are doin!!

• Like 1

The 2005 and 2006 Jeep Liberty offered a VM 4 cylinder turbo Diesel engine. The EGR was an issue with those engines. I owned a 2006 and loved it, about 30mpg highway. Traded it at 90K+ before the warranty ran out - but never had any issues.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The 2005 and 2006 Jeep Liberty offered a VM 4 cylinder turbo Diesel engine. The EGR was an issue with those engines. I owned a 2006 and loved it, about 30mpg highway. Traded it at 90K+ before the warranty ran out - but never had any issues.

A friend a mine had one a those an loved it!! But he knew how to care for it, most people in this country don't know how to care fora diesel, it just aint as forgivin as a gas motor!

BULLHUSK

The Mercedes Benz sourced diesel (the same one that still goes into ML350's and GL350's) that went into Grand Cherokees about 6-7 years ago was a great motor. If you look for used Grand Cherokees with an oil burner from that period you'll have a hard time finding one and if you do, it'll fetch top dollar.

I'm not a fan of the government's involvment in how Fiat ended up with Chrysler, but this motor is good for the this segment of the market. It'll be silky smooth with plenty of power and provide great fuel economy. I'm actually considering trading my 2007.5 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L on one of these. I don't need that much truck any more but don't want to drive a gasser either.

Take note Ford and Chevy.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

Too bad they are putting it in a FOREIGN brand!

Union made in Canton, Mississippi. Sure it may be a foreign brand but thousands of Americans work there. Same as with my Kia Sedona- Union made in West Point, Georgia.

If American manufacturers want my support, they need to come out with standard options, warranties, prices and dependability that go above the "other guy." Because I got a boatload of standard options on that Kia that would have been options on the other brands, she's just about bomb-proof, and the price was wayyyyy better than anything comparable from the "Big Three."

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I'm thrilled that Cummins will sell their automotive ISV 5.0 liter 200-275 horsepower (@3200rpm) and 520 to 560 lb.ft of torque (@1600rpm) V8 diesel to Nissan, and is in talks with Toyota.

But having said that, I expect the double overhead camshaft 240 horsepower (@3600rpm) and 420 lb.ft. of torque (@2000rpm) V6 diesel from VM Motori to deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy.

Both engines ultilize compacted-graphite iron (CGI) cylinder blocks to add strength while reducing weight, and the Cummins is indeed a compact V-8, but ultimately VM Motori's V6 packs quite a punch into a lighter package which equates to greater fuel economy.

The VM Motori weighs in at 500 pounds, and the Cummins at 800 pounds.

I'd spec the V6 from VM Motori in 1/2 ton trucks, and the Cummins ISV at 275hp in 3/4 and 1-ton trucks........and enjoy the fuel savings.

• Like 1