2014, new J1939 plug?

liquidx203

Got a new 2014 truck in at work the other day tried hooking up to it with the computer and it has a totally different connection port. Now I know a few years ago i heard that the heavy duty world was going to go to an "OBD Heavy Duty" plug. Has that day come? Can anyone else shed some light on these new communications ports. Thanks for the info.

Its my understanding that the customer can hook up a hand held scanner to read obd only faults. Its a universal thing-volvo, mack, international, freightliner and etc. Now if you want to read manufacturer specific codes then you would have to purchase said software. Its set up that way so that the customer/owner can read and repair obd faults without relying on the dealer. I could be wrong though so don't hold me to this.

The OBD II connector is here to stay, so you might as well get use to it. There is an adaptor kit so that you can still use the communication box that is used for TT 1. Also any OBD II scanner that is available on the market will work on the none propritary faults. I use a EKM 327 wireless interface connector and the (FREE) Torque OBD check smart phone app to read and clear fault codes.

Non proprietary would be a coolant temp sensor fault vs say a communication fault between EECU's (Mack specifically designed fault). Same is true for MID 233, 144 etc. However, 2014 uses ISO communications for engine, automated transmission, and aftertreatment ECU's...BUT the rest of the truck is still using 1939 & 1587 communications. There is no more MID128, 233 etc. in 2014 and moving forward. This is really why Tech Tool II stinks.

I heard the it was going back to 9 pin from someone who is writing the new software for mack/Volvo system, have no idea if it is true but said the tech tool2 is suppose to be more like the original tech tool . Also JPRO makes a aftermarket to that will read clear codes and do regens very nice setup for obd2 systems all the way back to v-mac 1 in one system.