Wedge Brakes?

lamountain1976

I think I have wedge brakes on the front of my truck (photos). What exactly are wedge brakes and why do they have a bad reputation?

If anyone has done this on their truck, could you describe the procedure? I have heard it's easiest to pull the wheel, then the hub, to get at them. Is this as simple as pulling the lugnuts and the triangle shaped parts, then the hub cover, bearings etc.? And shat sorts of things am I looking for once I get in there and how are wedge brakes adjusted?

post-1952-1202599537.jpg

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

Wedge brakes are a very good braking system if properly installed and maintained, There bad reputation is that they are more complicated than conventional s cam setups, and are more prone to the adjusters freezing up and making them inoperable.

Here is a link for a service manual that will explain in detail their operation, maintenance, and repair... Good Luck!!

http://www.axletech.com/service_manuals/pd...dard/MM0153.pdf

Wedge brakes are a very good braking system if properly installed and maintained, There bad reputation is that they are more complicated than conventional s cam setups, and are more prone to the adjusters freezing up and making them inoperable.

Here is a link for a service manual that will explain in detail their operation, maintenance, and repair... Good Luck!!

http://www.axletech.com/service_manuals/pd...dard/MM0153.pdf

So then there is not much variability among wedge brake systems? Or are there multiple brands, how do you know which setup the truck has?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

That could be a new comedy routine:

"They just might not be wedge brakes if......"

:lol:

They were indeed wedge brakes and in very rough shape - not really worth rebuilding. I read some discussion of switching over to S-cams and did some research. It seems to be pretty straight forward and economical. Has anyone gone this route?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

• 2 weeks later...
They were indeed wedge brakes and in very rough shape - not really worth rebuilding. I read some discussion of switching over to S-cams and did some research. It seems to be pretty straight forward and economical. Has anyone gone this route?

Glenn you da man! Love this comment

( A simple test to tell which set up you have is if they stop when you apply the brakes they may not be wedge brakes.) no truer words have been spoken! :)

Just an opinion from someone whos ,beendar dun dat.

You would be well advised to go find a complete front axle assembly some where! the change over can be a big hastle getting the right this, that and the other thing to work with the hubs you have.I'd be hunting up a complete axle to be on the safe side.

again just an opinion!

While I full well realize that "wedge" brakes were probably more troublesome than "S" cam type setups:

There was a large concrete plant that ran exclusively White, Reo, Diamond Reo, and Diamond T trucks for many years. They always had wedge brakes. I went to high school with the shop forman's son and spent quite some time there. Can't say I remember the trucks, (over two dozen) were any more trouble than something with hydraulic brakes. Normal, preventative maintenance seems to be the key.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.