Mack Coolant Type?

Red in my EM7-300. Use coolant recommended for a Diesel engine. Coolant color varies by brand and EL (extended life). Your engine should have a coolant conditioner filter in front of the thermostat housing.

thanks for the help I have only water in the system now since its cold Im gonna put coolant in the system. Is it ok to just mix the coolant with the water already in the system by just pouring that in with it or should I flush the water out the system?

If you know the total capacity of the system and you KNOW that it is good water in there, then you could drain 50% of the water and replace with antifreeze. If you are unsure, then it is probably best to at the very least drain & refill with the proper mix. I've never flushed a cooling system...with my luck I'd dislodge whatever crap is keeping the radiator from leaking. I just refill with fresh coolant any time I drain the system for maintenance or repairs...unless it hasn't really been that long since I just put fresh stuff in there. Always test to make sure it is a sufficient mix so it won't freeze up on you...

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

If you know the total capacity of the system and you KNOW that it is good water in there, then you could drain 50% of the water and replace with antifreeze. If you are unsure, then it is probably best to at the very least drain & refill with the proper mix. I've never flushed a cooling system...with my luck I'd dislodge whatever crap is keeping the radiator from leaking. I just refill with fresh coolant any time I drain the system for maintenance or repairs...unless it hasn't really been that long since I just put fresh stuff in there. Always test to make sure it is a sufficient mix so it won't freeze up on you...

ok the draining part which hose should i pull to drain is it the hose to the reservoir? thanks

Green if you want to completely change it every two or three years, plus keep your water filter changed regularly and double checking your SCA level at every oil changed. The purple is an additive to bring your SCA level back in line. If you don't your water pump impeller and cylinder liner will wear from the silicone. Red is extended life good for 750,000 miles and you don't have to check your SCA level. DO NOT mix the red and green together, cause a chemical reaction will eat head gasket up. Never add water to the Red, just more coolant. Unless the Red gets mixed with fuel , doing any kind of repair you can recycle the Red coolant with a fine mess screen. If you do a conversation to red, completely flush out the green with clear water with engine running with thermostats opened.

• Like 1

Green if you want to completely change it every two or three years, plus keep your water filter changed regularly and double checking your SCA level at every oil changed. The purple is an additive to bring your SCA level back in line. If you don't your water pump impeller and cylinder liner will wear from the silicone. Red is extended life good for 750,000 miles and you don't have to check your SCA level. DO NOT mix the red and green together, cause a chemical reaction will eat head gasket up. Never add water to the Red, just more coolant. Unless the Red gets mixed with fuel , doing any kind of repair you can recycle the Red coolant with a fine mess screen. If you do a conversation to red, completely flush out the green with clear water with engine running with thermostats opened.

Thanks for the information on RED coolant. I knew it is extended life but that is all. Where can I purchase 50/50 red coolant? Since the fleet used RED coolant, is that the reason the coolant conditioner filter was removed from my EM7? Will I do harm if I install a filter?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The "don't mix the colors" used to be the rule, but these days most of the antifreeze bottle say "mixes with any color"...isn't technology great? Just remember that if there is ANY green in the system at all, you've got to empty it out as though it is ALL green after a year or two...or at least you are SUPPOSED to. The purple is NOT an additive. It just already has the SCA additives included in it so you don't have to check them on initial fill. The Mack filter kits come with 2 oil filters, a red & a green fuel filter, a centrimax filter, and either a spin-on coolant treatment thingamabobber or some plastic packets of stuff to drop into the system through the pressure cap to treat the coolant. That's what I've always done...'cept for when I JUST blew a hose or something like that and had JUST filled the entire system with the pre-charged antifreeze. I suppose if you were so inclined, you could pick up some of those test strips and only service the antifreeze when the strips told you it needed attention, but where's the fun in that? I quit doing what I was told when I moved out of my parents house...

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Farmer52 I do not like buying the 50-50 pre mixed coolant as it works out to be more expensive. Joe D.

I am looking for topoff. Complete refill, I agree...buy the concentrate and distilled water and mix your own. Who markets "red"?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I've got a 2.5 gal oil jug that I rinsed out real good to use for mixing antifreeze...1 gal antifreeze, 1 gal distilled water, and give'r a little shake...then pour into 1 gal containers for "topping off". When you look at it, a gallon of the 50/50 pre-mixed stuff is dern near as much as a gallon of the full strength concentrate...and distilled water is dirt cheap. 2 gal for the price of 1.