Cummins ISX

let it loose

Look I talk to many guys with the new Pac car motor and the Cummins ISX, I won't even tell you about the Accert Cats cause there is not enough time and paper to tell you those horror stories!! Hands down for the Cummins, but not without problems, some had crank prob. some had other stuff! But if it where me ?? I would buy something with a Detroit cause the guys I'm talkin to are tradin them in for Detroit powered trucks I have em an run em and I will not buy another motor at this time so b carefull

BULLHUSK

The reason the DD13 (OM471) is performing so well in the US market is because it is the only engine that was designed from the onset for EPA2010.

All the other engines, with the exception of Cummins, including the Volvo D11/D13/D16 (Mack MP7/MP8/MP10), Maxxforce 11 and 13 (MAN), Paccar MX-13 (DAF), DD15 (Benz OM472) and DD16 (Benz OM473) were designed for Euro-6 in Europe, and then adapted to the more stringent EPA2010 emissions.

The ISX is a good engine, the emissions standards killed it, when the ISX came out it was a great engine, got better for the first couple years then came the EPA. I don't think any of the new engines are worth a crap anymore when compared to engines from 2004 back but this is what we've got take it or leave it. The Detroit Series 60,Mack Etech,Cat 3406E and Cummins N14 had reached a level of near perfection pre EPA 2004 if you ask me, they made more lower per liter and lasted longer than ever before. All engine makers were forced to try to adapt current designs to try to meet the new standards and then most started making plans for new engines for the long term, Detroit (Daimler) got it done first and they are reaping the rewards of having what may be the most reliable engine of the current standards. I don't think any of the newer emissions engines are going to meet the reliability and economy standards set by pre 04 engines. The ISX has had teething issues in it current form just like all the rest, Cummins had EGR cooler and turbo issues, Detroit had turbo and injector issues, Cat couldn't get the Acert engines to work without falling apart, Mack and Volvo have been rounds with turbos, injectors and injector cups, they all have their thing but for the 2006 model year the ISX is right in there with the rest.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

So if the Detroits are the best thing since canned beer then Daimler owns class 8??

The big part of me buyin the Detroits is product support, Cat Cummins an Mack all walked when I had trouble with there pre. prob's On the other hand Detroit has never left be holding the bag! as well as the dealer Horwith Freightliner in Northampton PA. So as far as canned beer?? ..Don't know, but I'll drink it from the bottle or the tap it all tastes the same ta me LOL!!

BULLHUSK

The big part of me buyin the Detroits is product support, Cat Cummins an Mack all walked when I had trouble with there pre. prob's On the other hand Detroit has never left be holding the bag! as well as the dealer Horwith Freightliner in Northampton PA. So as far as canned beer?? ..Don't know, but I'll drink it from the bottle or the tap it all tastes the same ta me LOL!!

BULLHUSK

Well you can't say enough about product support. I say today, does anyone build a truly BAD product? My guess is all are pretty close-key is how does supplier stand behind it. My guess is with supplier components (Eaton, Cummins etc) the truck dealer plays a key part-does he shrug his shoulders and say.."not my problem-Cummis says no"-or does he go to bat for you. I have to believe its like everything else today-everything is a negotiation-shouldn't be but I think it is. the Service mgr that is a PITA on EVERY issue soon finds himself talking to a deaf ear.

But back to the Detroit question-it IS now proprietary to Daimler products only right?

PS-I'll take mine in bottles :)

Red Horse That is true Detroit Diesel Engines are avaible only in Freightliner and Western Star.My Brother and I run both Cummins ISX 565 in 07 9900 IH with about 750,000 miles on and 14 Liter 515 HP Detroit with 310,000 miles but I think 18,000 engine hours. The ISX 565 was pretty good but the Detroit had only one injector and computer as far as repairs in 9 years.Both trucks are due for replacement but both he and I are contemplating retirement. Joe D.

Red Horse That is true Detroit Diesel Engines are avaible only in Freightliner and Western Star.My Brother and I run both Cummins ISX 565 in 07 9900 IH with about 750,000 miles on and 14 Liter 515 HP Detroit with 310,000 miles but I think 18,000 engine hours. The ISX 565 was pretty good but the Detroit had only one injector and computer as far as repairs in 9 years.Both trucks are due for replacement but both he and I are contemplating retirement. Joe D.

Thx Joe-too bad the Detroits are not an independent like the old days. even though GM owned it, they had good availability in a lot of "wrappers". Nothing like competition.

Well you can't say enough about product support. I say today, does anyone build a truly BAD product? My guess is all are pretty close-key is how does supplier stand behind it. My guess is with supplier components (Eaton, Cummins etc) the truck dealer plays a key part-does he shrug his shoulders and say.."not my problem-Cummis says no"-or does he go to bat for you. I have to believe its like everything else today-everything is a negotiation-shouldn't be but I think it is. the Service mgr that is a PITA on EVERY issue soon finds himself talking to a deaf ear.

But back to the Detroit question-it IS now proprietary to Daimler products only right?

PS-I'll take mine in bottles :)

Yes Unfortunately but it wasn't there choice when Daimler bought Freightliner an Western Star the other truck mfg. wouldn't buy them, from what I'm told

Bullhusk