1999 CH613 front axle inner wheel seal.

Keffer inc

Hello. I was checking my truck and saw oil on my front axle shoes and drums. Checked my hub oil level, which is down. So I figure its an inner wheel seal. Just wanted to know if this is a project one can do in a 12 hour window before the truck goes on another trip. Also do I need to take all the brakes apart or will I be lucky by only sliding the drum off? Truck is equipped with ABS. Are any pullers or special tools required? Thanks.

As long as you have the proper size seals, BOTH sets of wheel bearings (just in case) This can be done in about an hour. Pull drum, outer axle nut, keeper washer, inner axle nut, remove hub.

Knock out old seal, check both sets of bearings real good. Clean everything well before reversing the process.

inner axle nut torque to 250, back off a full turn, then torque to 50. and back off one flat.

pour oil on bearings before setting back in place. Load up on oil and turn. As you put things back, keep turning wheel and checking oil level.

*** when doing first torque on the inner nut, keep turning wheel to insure even

I found one on mine and had it done in an hour. Only seal was needed.

Even if you needed to replace bearings and race, 12 hours is plenty

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

not sure about abs but I know without you can back off your slack adjuster pull the oil seal on the outside off the wheel undo the lock nuts pull the wheel attatched to the hub pop the seal out install a new seal should take about an hour brakes stay attatched unless there soaked in oil dry them off and your ready to burn fuel.

If your brakes are soaked as bad as you stated, the bearings may have been damaged.

Bearing sets (2) are about $40 each. The seal maybe $20, couple cans of Brakleen and some oil

Looks like about $100 if you do the work. Not rocket science, but you just have to remember how it came apart.

Clean EVERYTHING real good

Also forgot, the only "special" tools would be the correct size socket for the axle nuts. Mine has 2 sizes. Also, be careful moving the hub around so as not to damage the ABS tone ring

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

It will pop right out? Haha that's funny. You must live in a perfect world...

lol wouldn't that be great,I use one of those j shaped crow bars,pry it out,very easy,maybe I don't understand how you do it,you don't hit on the bearing it's self do you?

Yep. The seal is holding the bearing in. Just a couple light taps will drive it out. No need for the BFH.

Now, if the bearing is damaged, erego, the race, that's a different story.

Of course, WE are all assuming the seal is the type that goes into the hub. Stemco's that actually go on the spindle is another issue.

Sorry we left ya hangin' there Keffer

Dry. test fit it on your spindle first just to make sure.

Oil on the bearing, set in place on the race. Seal on.

IF you don't have the proper seal tool, use a good flat piece of wood.

Tap lightly and move it around the seal to insure even set

You will hear a different sound when it gets there