Truck Hunting

mcguiver08

Hello.

I am new to the forum and am looking for some info/advice. I am on the hunt for a dump truck and am looking at a couple Macks. One is a 1993 with a 500 hp V8 and the other is a 1996 with a 400 hp E7. The 93 has 550,000 km and the 96 has 350,000 km. where can I find technical info on these two power plants. I have located general info on the Mack site for the E7 but cannot find anything on the V8. I will be pulling a dump trailer (not a pup) with my purchase so am looking for some help on making a choice. Any info on what to watch for as far as inherant problems with a Mack would be helpful as well.

Thanks from the new guy

:mack1: That 400 E7 is a good engine, but be real careful of the V-8, parts are getting real scarce and real expensive. Terry

A guy in the next town north of me ran exclusively Mack for many years until he bought two new mid 90's Ch series with E7-400 engines. He does a lot of gravel hauling, and lowboy work for road building equipment. Neither of those engines made 250,000 miles without being overhauled. I really don't know what the problems were but I do know how he maintains his units.

I do want to be fair and both of these engines were replaced with E6-350 series engines and they served much better. Both trucks are gone now, (one wrecked/scrapped) and the other traded in on a new Sterling, (the ultimate degradation). I do remember the wiring giving many problems as they seemed to be chasing "gremlins" quite a bit.

I cannot speak for the E9 series as I've never even seen one myself. Neither do I hear very many people bragging on their E7 series no matter what the power setting. Damn government intervention hurt it.

Sorry for the negativity.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have had all 3 engines the e6 300 and the e7 400 and the e9 500 they were all in dumptrucks going on and off road all engines had the power and were very dependable I cut back to just 1 truck now and the one I keepped was the e9 just turned 750,000 and I just did a in frame overhual had no trouble getting parts just need to fine the right Mack dealer hope this helps

P.S. (after driving the e9 you can not go back to the other engines) :SMOKIE-LFT:

:SMOKIE-RT: I would definitly have to agree after you drive an E9 you won't want to go back to the other ones . My E9 450 powered MH613 got hit last march head on by a car since then I have been driving a company truck with a E7 427 and there is no comparison between the two. It was quite a setback for me.

:SMOKIE-RT: I would definitly have to agree after you drive an E9 you won't want to go back to the other ones . My E9 450 powered MH613 got hit last march head on by a car since then I have been driving a company truck with a E7 427 and there is no comparison between the two. It was quite a setback for me.

Hello.

I am new to the forum and am looking for some info/advice. I am on the hunt for a dump truck and am looking at a couple Macks. One is a 1993 with a 500 hp V8 and the other is a 1996 with a 400 hp E7. The 93 has 550,000 km and the 96 has 350,000 km. where can I find technical info on these two power plants. I have located general info on the Mack site for the E7 but cannot find anything on the V8. I will be pulling a dump trailer (not a pup) with my purchase so am looking for some help on making a choice. Any info on what to watch for as far as inherant problems with a Mack would be helpful as well.

Thanks from the new guy

the e7 400 is one of the best engines ever built the e9 is also a very good engine we run them every day and have little trouble