Coe Lift Pump

Who knows something about the pumps that lift the cab up?

Mine leaks pretty badly - are there seal kits available? If not, maybe (used) replacement pumps around? Who manufactured them? Is there much variety among the pumps used on the COE model Macks?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

It should be a standard hand hydraulic pump. McMaster Carr carries one in their catalog on page 1324. Just enter 1324 in the search bar on the left and scroll down. The 3000 PSI pump costs $474 though. There might be a cheaper source but I don't have one at the moment.

Or I bet you could use one from an MR, just go to a Mack dealer and ask for a cab tilt pump for an MR. Maybe even a junk yard.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Who knows something about the pumps that lift the cab up?

Mine leaks pretty badly - are there seal kits available? If not, maybe (used) replacement pumps around? Who manufactured them? Is there much variety among the pumps used on the COE model Macks?

If you are not interested in originality, plumb in a hand pump from a porta power. Be careful if you do this as the pressure is a lot higher. Some pumps have adjustable relief valves, some do not.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If you are not interested in originality, plumb in a hand pump from a porta power. Be careful if you do this as the pressure is a lot higher. Some pumps have adjustable relief valves, some do not.

Rob

I'm not interested in originality, but I don't understand. What is a porta power pump?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

I'm not interested in originality, but I don't understand. What is a porta power pump?

It is a remote reservoir and pump unit with a handle much like a hydraulic bottle jack minus the cylinder ram.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It should be a standard hand hydraulic pump. McMaster Carr carries one in their catalog on page 1324. Just enter 1324 in the search bar on the left and scroll down. The 3000 PSI pump costs $474 though. There might be a cheaper source but I don't have one at the moment.

Or I bet you could use one from an MR, just go to a Mack dealer and ask for a cab tilt pump for an MR. Maybe even a junk yard.

What is an MR?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

What kind of pressure is required to tilt the cab?

I'll be 1000# would be adequate for that application as there is not much weight. Most porta power pumps are rated at 10,000# for a 10 ton rating at the ram. Most, (like Blackhawk, Porter-Ferguson) can be turned much lower by an adjustment screw. You could use it as is if you didn't keep pumping when you got to the limit of cab travel.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
all excellent ideas,but my first trip would be to the used truck parts/recycler/junk yard to see if they have a Cruiseliner. You might run across any number of parts you might need if they do,and you know they'll fit.

I looked around the area. No heavy truck salvage yards in Northern VA. New pumps are running 250 or so. I picked up a seal kit for 50. Just got here yesterday. Hope its the right kit.

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

I looked around the area. No heavy truck salvage yards in Northern VA. New pumps are running 250 or so. I picked up a seal kit for 50. Just got here yesterday. Hope its the right kit.
You said that your old pump was leaking bad and i did not under stand where it was leaking.If the pump it self is leaking then maybe you can repair but if you are saying that it leaks down when you pump it up then it may be a ram leaking by the seals and that is easy to check. glenn

glenn akers

You said that your old pump was leaking bad and i did not under stand where it was leaking.If the pump it self is leaking then maybe you can repair but if you are saying that it leaks down when you pump it up then it may be a ram leaking by the seals and that is easy to check. glenn

Yeah, it leaks down. Once I get the cab up aways, it wants to sag back down. Looks like most of the fluid is coming out around main cylinder or ram as you call it. I am hoping to rebuild the thing. The kit has many parts, mostly O-rings and back-up rings, but also copper washers and ball bearings. I guess you just tear the thing apart and match up seals, eh?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, it leaks down. Once I get the cab up aways, it wants to sag back down. Looks like most of the fluid is coming out around main cylinder or ram as you call it. I am hoping to rebuild the thing. The kit has many parts, mostly O-rings and back-up rings, but also copper washers and ball bearings. I guess you just tear the thing apart and match up seals, eh?

I found a pump, thanks.

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

• 2 years later...

I found this thread using the search tool. I need help w my 78 F Model. Cab went halfway up one time, and then came slowly down on its own-no blown cylinders or hydraulic lines. I cleaned the pump out and reinstalled it. It will release the latches, but now will not jack the cab off the stops. I tried another pump-same results. Once the latches are fully released the pump comes to a stop like something is blocked off. When I release the pressure on the jack, the latches set themselves, and there is slack on the lift cylinders-I can slide them on the pins. When jacking the slack is gone and the cylinders tighten up against the mounting bolts like they're trying to lift. There is a small tag that says something about a hydraulic checkvalve but it isn't totally readable. Anyone got any ideas? Mike

Is it just me or did those buffalo wings taste like chicken?